Turn off debugging

You can use one of the serial ports to print your messages just like you did on stamp. Debug.print is not meant to be used in the way you are using it

Anyway, we are looking into making the gc output optional

I have just verified this and this is likely to be added in next release

Debug.EnableGCMessages(false);

Still remember that Debug.Print is not a serial terminal but more informational window to aid in debugging/diagnostics

simplistically speaking, here’s how I see debugging.

• If you have small amounts of data with slow rate of change, and an LCD, use it.

• If you are trying to track program logic with a high rate of change, you can use debug.print and USB connection, along with step debugging and step into/step out/step over.

• If you are trying to actually decode program flow or data that comes from the app, for instance you might want to push it into Excel or something, then you should use a dedicated serial connection and a separate port - debug.print may not be best for that (but it certainly is simple).

ContractorWolf, the scenario you talk about is not so much the debug.print option, it’s more the dedicated serial connection. I suspect you had to do some work to “connect” to the serial output line (in code that is), where the debuggung on USB is “free” over the application/code deployment “channel”.

I remember when all the debugging I could do was flash sequences on a LED :wink:

It will be great if the GC messages can be disabled, but I personally am not that fussed. Most things I’m trying to achieve I can find amongst any GC messages that might coincide with the content. If I think I’ll be precious about the content and want to look at it in more detail afterwards I might just dump it to CF card or might go through the small amount of effort to wire up a separate USB/RS232 connection (yeah ok, i would REALLY need a serially connected stream of data for that to happen :slight_smile: )

Very nice, Gus !:wink:

first off, thanks for your responses, ive got a much better understanding now. i came from a dynamic web background so the fact that there is undocumented output messages seems like a strange design to me.

that being said, any guesses on when the next release will be? i want to try this Debug.EnableGCMessages(false) so that i wont have to be switching USB connections just to see my data unmolested.

at least now i can understand what that data is so i know its not error messages now…

It will be up in few days (beta) but you will not be able to use it for few weeks till we have the beta out for everyone.

[url]http://www.tinyclr.com/beta/[/url]