Trouble with live debugging

Hello wizards :slight_smile:

I recently got a domino and I have it all set up with the newest firmware etc. In visual studio the device shows up in the list, but when I try to run the example program with a breakpoint, Visual studio just exits from the debugging mode and returns to development view. At this point the fez goes into a coma, and the computer loses contact. When I reset the fez is runs the exampleprogram, so it gets deployed, I just canā€™t get debugging to work. Ant suggestions? I am on a Mac with VM Windows 7.

Any tips for a newbie? :slight_smile:

Did you match the version number of Domino the one in SDK and if not update firmware?

See big yellow note on the download section please http://www.tinyclr.com/dl/

I downloaded all the newest SDKs and updated the firmware to the 1.0.11

And? Working?

ā€œā€¦I recently got a domino and I have it all set up with the newest firmware etc.ā€ I had already done this, that was my point :slight_smile: I have seen the getting started videos and done everything accordingly. The programs also actually gets deployed, but the debugging is not working :frowning:

Does the emulator work? See this in ebook

I had similar problems and that was due to mismatch of the loaded firmware on the Domino and the referenced files in my project. So my advice would be to;

1. Run MFdeploy and check the firmware version on your Domino (device capabilities, it should be 4.1.3.0 for the last release

2. Inside visual studio, check the references and click on every GHIElectronics ref and look at the version number in the property section, it should be the same 4.1.3.0

I figured it out. It had to do with the fact that I am running Windows 7 inside of VMWare on a Mac. When Visual Studio initialized the debugging, it reboots the device as part of the process. This leads to a USB reconnect from the FEZ, and then the FEZ was not autoconnected to the virtual machine. I configured VMWare to automatically connect the FEZ to the VM, and voilla :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

This is exciting, FEZ on MAC :slight_smile: Would you be willing to show some instructions on how to get that to work? Even better, make a wiki page for this with a video showing it working? I would love to give you plenty of experience points for doing so :slight_smile:

Did you get the driver USB Drivers/GHI_NETMF_Interface working ?

I always get the error during install : ā€œThe folder you specified doesnt contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit-systems.ā€

I try to use ChipWorkX on a Windows 7 running in Virtualbox.

I can install the USB/Serial driver for update TInyBooter - but then i am not able to install GHI_NETMF_Interface -> windows reports a ā€œunknown deviceā€.

What do you see on the screen?

If i plug in the DevBoard with TInyBooter bootet, i get a ā€œUSB Device not recognizedā€ reported from Windows.

In the device manager i can see a ā€˜unknown deviceā€™ under the USB-section.

If i try to install the driver manually (Driver->Driver Update->Have Disk) and i select the .inf file, the error is: ā€œThe folder you specified doesnt contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit-systems.ā€

I mean on the chipworkX screen LCD, what do you see?

Is it possible UBERI has the 64 bit drivers? That seems to be what the error message says.

Is the OP using the lastest SDK drivers?

Has UBERI tried the automatic loader?

[url]http://ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/GHI%20NETMF%20USB%20Drivers%2032-Bit.zip[/url]

i have tried the 64-bit drivers too (but i use a 32bit version :slight_smile: )ā€¦ also the link providedby Mike

ChipWorkX says:

ChipWorkX
TInyBooter Mode
Version: 4.1.5.1
Debug: USB1
LCD: 480x272
IP: 0.0.0.0
MAC: 00.00.00.00.00.00
Managed heap size: 49283072
Custom heap size: 0

Waiting

So your chipworkX is running in TinyBooter mode and uses USB debug interface. It should with driver we provide. You can even download an installer for the driver, did you try it? Support ā€“ GHI Electronics

still no luck? try another PC.

I tried the installer too - no luck
maybe i have luck with VMWare Fusionā€¦

also no luck with windows xp sp3 and VMWare Fusion (USB Device not recognized) ???

maybe the driver for ChipWorkX has some problems, since other user has successfully installed Domino on VMWare (Windows 7) ?

They are different devices but I canā€™t see why one would work and one wouldnā€™t!

Do you have another PC that you can try. Window, no VM