Trouble deploying

I am getting this error when I deploy my project:
The debugging target and the debugger engine failed to initialize because of unspecified device errors.
The debugger engine thread has terminated unexpectedly with error ‘Controller not started, cannot create message’.

I copied “Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.CorDebug.dll” from ghi sdk directory to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Tools” and now VS2010 wont load. If I put the original back it loads.

Any ideas?

On the deployment error make sure you have the correct version of the firmware loaded. You have to use a terminal program to do this. The instructions can be found here: [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/dl/[/url] under ‘Getting Started’.

For the issue with the “Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.CorDebug.dll” I have the same issue so I stayed with the original file.

I am at the latest 4.1.1.0 . I flashed it twice to be sure. This is a cobra with a 3.5" screen BTW. I am able to deploy “sometimes” it seems on rebooting to deploy it comes back slower than usual which causes the issue.

[quote]I copied “Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.CorDebug.dll” from ghi sdk directory to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Tools” and now VS2010 wont load. If I put the original back it loads.
[/quote]

Microsoft NETMF SDK has a little problem in NETMF 4.1 where the debugger times-out too quickly and so loading sometimes fails. The fix was in the new DLL but you are saying that VS2010 doesn’t liek the new DLL!

What version of VS2010 do you have? If not express then can you please try C# express?

I have updated my VS2010 from Express to Pro and it works.

But Bixter’s OS is a 64bit OS. Maybe that is the reason?

Strange I did the opposite to make it work: I had pro installed and then installed express to get it to work with the new file. When I changed over from beta to the production GHI 4.1 SDK it quit working again…(wonder if I copied over the new from from the production SDK or reused the one from the beta?)

Windows 7 64bit, VS 2010 Ultimate. I wont be able to uninstall for express since I do other programming on my PC.

do you need to uninstall? I think you can have ultimate and express on the same machine

You can have both on one machine. Uninstalling Express should not touch any other VS SKU.

Ok, Ill install express and will let you know.

Visual studio 2010 Express cannot load that DLL. Is it a x86/x64 thing? Deploying is still have issues.

This absolutely strange! We have tested express and professional on 32bit and 64bit. It worked perfectly. We actually want it to fail so can find out what the problem is!

Any info you have that may help us?

I ran vs with logging and found it was complaining about “CheckPackageSignature failed; invalid Package Load Key”. I then figured it had to be permissions of the dll. After looking at it it was blocked and unblocking from the GUI didnt work. The way around this was to:
1, download steams [url]Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career
2. start an admin command prompt
3. streams.exe -d Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.CorDebug.dll

It removed the foreign computer zone and all is good. Whoever has this working without these steps would have cranked their UAC down.

Everything is running just fine now.

Wow Bixter, thanks for this info.
Jeff, can you please make sure this works on your PC?

If this solves the DLL problem, we will get Bixter a good chunk of experience points boost.
http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/users

That seems to be the trouble, I found an easier way around it though :slight_smile:

Right after you unzip the GHI 4.1 SDK, right click on the “Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.CorDebug.dll” file and you will see something like the image below. Click on ‘Unblock’ and then ‘Apply’. You MUST do this before copying the file over to: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Tools” or it will not work.

I just tried this on both XP and Win7 and it works.

On Windows XP (SP2, IE7), Vista and Windows 7 it is a good idea to “unblock” the file after download. Proceeed to extract and install after this step.

That works too. The dir for .NET MF needs admin to make changes , so changing if beforehand in an “unprotected” dir works as well. I still want my points 8)

Rajesh, if your XP comment is about your own machine, you should get SP3 on your machine - no security updates for SP2 :wink:

the “unprotect” should only be an issue if you download the file from the internet. I have Win7 x64 with UAC on, and while I had to be prompted to elevate to allow the copy, because I took the file straight out of the GHI directory that was created when I installed the SDK, it was fine.

[quote]because I took the file straight out of the GHI directory that was created when I installed the SDK, it was fine.
[/quote]

That is a important point. I was copying the dll directly from the unzipped folder not the GHI install folder. Well, but when I looked at C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK is not there so I’m not sure where you copied yours from Brett that allowed it to be unblocked.

Check again :slight_smile: