Touchscreen Test

Gus is right … lots of teasing here, but we don’t pick on the new guys right away.

Jim reread Pete’s post and you will see it was addressed to Andrew (DevHammer).

Stick around we are all trying to help you. Did you get a chance to check the wiring yet? You might even want to swap a couple of the cables.

Jim, my apologies for not being clear with the picture. I was giving Andrew a hard time for using the wrong socket. Andrew and I have known each other for a very long time, and the picture was directed just at him.

I’m not a NETMF expert, just an enthusiast. I also do not work for GHI, so don’t let that reflect on them of the forums here. GHI employees have blue GHI logos next to their name.

Sorry for not being clear there. I don’t intend offense at all.

Pete

Jim,

On my behalf and Pete’s, apologies for any misunderstanding.

Pete’s picture was intended to tease me, as a response to my having admitted that I plugged my screen in incorrectly…it was not at all directed towards you.

Here’s the simplest touch test app I could come up with for Gadgeteer:

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Controls;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Media;

using GT = Gadgeteer;
using GTM = Gadgeteer.Modules;
using Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics;

namespace TouchScreenTest
{
    public partial class Program
    {
        void ProgramStarted()
        {
            // Do one-time tasks here
            Debug.Print("Program Started");

display.WPFWindow.TouchDown += new Microsoft.SPOT.Input.TouchEventHandler(WPFWindow_TouchDown);
            display.WPFWindow.TouchUp += new Microsoft.SPOT.Input.TouchEventHandler(WPFWindow_TouchUp);
        }

void WPFWindow_TouchDown(object sender, Microsoft.SPOT.Input.TouchEventArgs e)
        {
            display.SimpleGraphics.BackgroundColor = GT.Color.Blue;
        }

void WPFWindow_TouchUp(object sender, Microsoft.SPOT.Input.TouchEventArgs e)
        {
            display.SimpleGraphics.BackgroundColor = GT.Color.Red;
        }
    }
}

If you attach just your touchscreen, create a new Gadgeteer project, and replace your Program.cs with the above code and run it, the screen should start white, then turn blue when you touch it, and red when you release it, if all is working properly.

There’s no dependency on Glide or any other external libraries, so it should be pretty straightforward to test with.

Hope that helps.

Tks for reply GUS
My only aim is to try get all modules working.
I know Iv made some stuiped mistakes but I think Iv sorted most of them out.
Now I think i might have a hardware problem, and thats ok it happens, but responce from pete was un called for. that does not help me or you.
I dont want to complain about something wrong if it not worg
I just want to make sure im right in what im saying.
If prete was having a joke with someone else then this is not the trend for it
Im just trying to get the gadgeteer system fully running. If Im a looser for that then im in the wrong site.

Jim,

Please try the code I posted above, and see if that works with your touch screen. If you have the R, G, and B cables plugged into the matching sockets on the Spider mainboard, and the T cable plugged into the socket marked “AIT X” (to the right of the socket), the code above should change the color of the display both when you touch the screen, and when you release.

Give that a shot and let us know if it works.

Email me Jim please at gusi@ “GHI domain”.com
Well take care of you

@ devhammer
Tks for reply. But all i got was a blue scren with no responce fron touchscreen.
Now Im certain i have a hardware problem.
Just one more thing i want o try.
The touchscreen is restive. I need to get pin ids to measure this resistance.
This will comfirm the proglem if its hardware.

Guys thanks for all your help
Because of your help and support i still have one hair left. :slight_smile: at the moment

@ Jim4

You’re right. This is the wrong thread for it. I’ll save my jests for when I present with @ devhammer (Andrew) on Saturday.

To be very clear, though, the picture and comment was not intended toward you. I was responding to @ devhammer’s post. We live near each other, have done events together, and whatnot, so we have an offline relationship that isn’t apparent here. Without that context, it probably looks different.

In any case, this wasn’t the fault of anyone at GHI. Gus has been very helpful here as have other community members.

Pete

Pete theres no offence taken. But at the moment im just sensitive because I seem to be having more problems then anyone else. This is not a situation Im used to. I normally lead the fied, but not this time.
So dont worry Its not u its me that sensitive.
Ps I do like your software keep writting your good:)

Jim,

If you got a bluescreen, then that suggests that the app is receiving the display.WPFWindow.TouchDown event. If the screen turned blue before you touched it, that may mean there’s a problem with the touch hardware, assuming everything’s plugged in properly.

Gus could probably speak to that question more authoritatively, though.

And for what it’s worth, two weeks ago, I was pretty much where you are, trying to figure out how to get anything working right, and feeling as though I was completely out of my element. And even now, there are parts of working in such a constrained environment that are tripping me up, big-time.

But you’ll get there…and once you do, it’s very rewarding. :slight_smile:

tks for reply
screen justed turned blue with no touch on the screen and no reaction from screen after that.
AS I said in last post forget about software now it time to check out the hardware
I just need to look up pin details