Touch Monitor for RPi2 with Windows 10

Starting a new thread, rather than continuing one of the longer RPi2 threads, so this won’t get lost in the depths.

Want to add a touch monitor to your Raspberry Pi 2 running Windows 10? Explained here:

https://www.hackster.io/jtlns/adafruit-5-lcd-on-windows-10-iot-core

5 Likes

Sweet! I have a bunch of smaller LCD that I wanted to use with PI and MinnowMax but couln’t! The only that was working fine was 10.1" 1280x800. Maybe now I’ll succeed.

Sweet! I’ve ordered one for my project…

You had me excited there for a minute… It looks like that article is only showing how to get the display to work but without touch support. Can someone confirm? I don’t currently have that display but I may be getting one soon.

@ ianlee74 - Shoot!

My bad…I just assumed, since it mentioned a touch screen monitor that touch was enabled. I should have read more closely before sharing.

Hopefully, the touch part will be possible in a future build.

EDIT. Looking at the Adafruit catalog listing, it says that the touch should show up as a USB mouse…so maybe it can work? I dunno…might be worth trying.

Well, I’ll know next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think maybe it will but there was no mention of it in the article. I actually tried hooking one of those up a couple weeks ago at a RPi workshop and w/o knowing about the change to the config, it showed up with only 2/3 of the screen painted. I don’t think the touch was working then but everything was so messed up on the display that I gave up and resorted to a monitor.

For me, touch is no working on those little screens (I have a few different ones) with RPi. They work fine with big PC.

The one I got from Adafruit works but needs to be calibrated via a PC and I still need a VGA cable (I now realise I should have kept at least one of them) to hook it up to my little laptop to run the calibration.

The USB touch does work with the Raspberry Pi and I can see the pointer move on the screen as I touch it, albeit in the wrong position. Once I get it calibrated, it should be fine.

I used this display.

EDIT: I should state that I am still running Debian with it but the touch does work with standard Windows so in theory, should work with Windows 10 on the Pi. If I get around to putting W10 on my Pi I will report back.

I’m not sure that’s a safe bet because not all USB mice seem to work with the Windows 10 IoT code base. I have some that do and some that don’t. That said, I went and ordered the 5" screen from the original post. Seems like a fair number of us are gamblers :slight_smile:

Heh. I hear you. And at worst, you’ve got a nice, portable monitor to use with your Win10-flavored Pi. And it will very likely work in the future. So, as usual, life on the bleeding edge. :wink:

Here’s another set of instructions, and this one explicitly talks about configuring touch:

http://blog.falafel.com/setting-up-a-7-inch-touchscreen-on-a-pi-2-with-windows-iot-core-insider-preview/

1 Like

I just got my display in form Adafruit. Plugged it in, rebooted and the display AND the mouse works perfect.

Roy

The difficult thing for me is finding relatively high DPI capacitive touch screens. Most available screens are max 800x480 and have a resistive touch screen. In a world of tablets and phones, those feel like going back to the 80s.

Seems the best choice is to purchase from ebay something like a replacement Samsung Tab S 8.4" screen, a Galaxy S4 screen, or similar + an HDMI to LVDS-or-something-else-wacky-board.

I’m actually surprised the Raspberry Pi community doesn’t have more out there on this topic. I guess no one really needs higher DPI in their projects.

Pete

@ Pete Brown - Higher resolution = more battery drain, no? Perhaps that’s part of why you don’t see the same jump in resolution for this class of device? Just a thought.

Most people don’t run the Pi from batteries. I discerned that when I went looking for information there. The Pi is notoriously picky about voltage (which is why I use a 5v charger to power it) so many don’t bother.

But yes, higher DPI means more processing power required etc.

Pete

@ Pete Brown - Makes sense.

Guess I’m just lucky, but my Pi2 runs great off of one of the rechargeable power packs they gave away at the MVP summit a few years back. They had a bunch left over after the event, so I was able to pick up a couple extras, too. They’re great for my Gadgeteer demos as well.

Yeah. Those 5v packs are great.

Just don’t try to run a Pi off of, say 6v from AA batteries or something. It has a fairly narrow range of acceptable power.Any regulation needs to happen outside the Pi.

Also, don’t power the Pi directly from the 5v pins unless you’re sure you have a great power supply. The USB power connector has additional protections. The 5v pins just plop whatever right on the 5v rail.

Pete

Have you tried it?

1 Like

No, I haven’t. Don’t have the budget for the extra monitor at the moment, but I figured it was worth passing along for anyone who might be looking to get this working.

1 Like