To the power off

@ Jason - I never thought that dimming a light /Speed control of an AC Motor with Zero crossing detect could be that simple. :clap:
I was looking for something like this a while ago, and never could find anything that simple that I had the Impression of that it could actually work.

Think I got there. A nightā€™s sleep certainly helped. PCB layout changed too. I think I incorporated your TVS and snubber suggestions as well as increasing the PCB size, moving the Gadgeteer socket and I added another set of holes that could be used to fix a protective cover. Thereā€™s a keep-out area marked on the silkscreen too.

Thanks for all you suggestions on this. Hopefully itā€™s not too far away from manufacturing now.

Did you consider also adding an actual routed slot for isolation ? Youā€™ve come so farā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

C1 in 0603 ? :think:
Which voltage you would expect across C1 if triac is OFF ?

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FO/FOD4108.pdf

1 Like

Arrrhhhh!! Overlooked that :wall: . Thanks for picking it up. Going to change R (http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/erjp14f2401u/resistor-thick-film-2-4-kohm-0/dp/1894322) and C (http://uk.farnell.com/murata/gcj32dr72e104kxj1l/cap-mlcc-x7r-100nf-250v-1210/dp/2218691) to 1206 or 1210 I think. Should they be bigger?

I hadnā€™t considered it, so far. Iā€™ll see whatā€™s possible as itā€™s a great idea. :clap:

Thanks.

Place C1 & R3 closer to the 230V connector and as Lutz1 mentionedā€¦ Use a 400V capacitor and for R3 reserve space for a 2Watt resistor

1 Like

Another idea is to add a LED to each channel so that you can see if a channel is ON/OFF. might be handy during software development.

@ RobvanSchelven - LEDs in place. Other stuff on way.

Thanks again to all.

1 Like

@ Jason - Cool project Jason. Iā€™m very interested to hear how it works out. This will be a nice community creations board too. Hope you are planning on doing that?

@ RobvanSchelven - Any thoughts of the power requirements for R2? Should it be the same as R3?

I think 0.5 watt 0805 should be enough. if you take a look at the datasheet of the optocoupler
Intelligent Power and Sensing Technologies | onsemi Page 4 shows a schematic under Typical application. You see a another resistor drawn at pin 4 of the optocoupler to the triac. You could add a landing patern 0805 in case its needed.

1 Like

Nice job and design!. If you are going to produce a few protoā€™s count me in for oneā€¦ I am happy to buy one !

@ RobvanSchelven - Itā€™s not tracked yet, but hereā€™s the final layout (I hope). Larger components, TVS, cut-outs, larger copper area for heat sink, moved connector and hatched keep-out area.

Apart from tracking, I think Iā€™m there. I want to do some final testing of the design before I push the button, but it will happen in the next week or two.

Thanks for your invaluable input. Iā€™ll keep you posted on prototypes

2 Likes

Looks great ! Thanks

Hi Jason, another great project.

Itā€™s only a minor thing but I like things like this to be correct :slight_smile:

I see looking at the 3D model that you donā€™t have any Layer Stack setup as the PCB appears thin. If you use the attached values for Layer Stack Manager you will get a better looking PCB in 3D and if you export this, the board thickness will be more accurate.

1 Like

@ Dave McLaughlin - I noticed that too right after I posted it. Itā€™s fixed already and looks much nicer.

Many thanks.

@ Jason - Exploring the drawing i was wondering if the gadgeteer connector doesnā€™t need to be rotated by 180 degree.

1 Like

Maybe. Let me take a look later. I hope to track the PCB tonight too.

@ RobvanSchelven - Agreed. The existing modules have the tab on the other side so Iā€™ll rotate it as I lay it up. Thanks.

1 Like