The release of SDK Package 2013 R2 with socket indirect

Hi John,

One other thing I do recall, is booting into Tinybooter and erasing first, update Tinybooter and then reboot and run Fezconifg. I did this same step on both the boards that show this fault. I had to do this as Fezconfig refused to update the firmware and give me an error after a long wait. Something like 2 mins waiting. After TinyBooter was updated, FezConfig worked.

I then updated the G120 modules to the latest firmware though FezConfig. I then set the LCD through the same application and then powered off and back on.

After the 30 seconds or so, I get the debugger connection. Download the application I sent you and then run it. Disconnect debugger, remove cable and power off the board.

Power it back up and wait the 30 seconds as shown on the video.

Got my palm monitor running again as it seems adding an ability to the network connection to grab a static IP if the dynamic one failed has got me back online at:

http://open.sen.se/sensemeters/tab/4380/

and

test now is to see how long it runs for without hanging etc.

There is a lot of straight lines on the graphs. Indicating a crashed system. Whatā€™s the problem?

Just as a test, I decided to do the same process on one of my Cobra 2 boards which is running with a GHI TE35 display.

1st TEST
Re-installed tinybooter and then firmware update. All went well. First run of the application setup the LCD and after this I could run the debug connection. Fast boot up.

This was using the application to do the initial programming of the LCD driver through Gadgeteer.

2nd TEST
Now I tried it all again and this time using the FezConfig to set the LCD after updating tinybooter and the firmware. After a reboot, I get a white display and it takes approx 20+ seconds to reboot in much the same situation as my custom board.

3rd TEST
I then went back to the first attempt and let the application programme the LCD. Now reboot is back to being fast.

Hope this helps you guys narrow this down?

After the 2nd test, does the device take 20+ seconds to reboot every time or just the time right after updating the LCD configuration?

In between test 2 and 3, did you erase and reflash the firmware and tinybooter, or just deploy right after test 2?

Hi John,

Each time it takes 20+ seconds. All I see is a white screen.

Before the 3rd, I did an ERASE and reflashed TinyBooterand then the firmware. Basically the same process to load tinybooter and the firmware. The only difference is that I didnā€™t use the LCD config in FezConfig for the 3rd test.

What was the LCD configuration you used in test 2? What version of FEZConfig was it?

The following values where used with FezConfig 0.1.3

Sorry canā€™t show the LCD config without a working board and I have a debug session running just now.

These are the values in order they are show, top to bottom. Hope it makes sense?

First Column
True
True
False
False
True

Second column

PSā€¦ They where copied from the first working system.

@ njbuch those straight lines are bad and indicate that the monitor crashed and what Iā€™m trying to solve. I was hoping that the new release contained some fixes as the monitor used to run for a couple hours before it blew up, but the last few tests have shown it blows up sooner then before. Still looking into this as time permits, but my palms arenā€™t happy about this at all.

@ Dave Which Cobra II are you using? Net, Eco, WiFi?

@ Dave, additionally: uninstall the SDK, delete the GHI Electronics folder if it remains, redownload and reinstall the SDK to see if the problem persists. Make sure to reflash everything with the new SDK. Try a different computer as well if possible. What version and bitness of Windows and Visual Studio are you using?

@ John. Windows 7 64 bit. VS2012 Express.

Iā€™ll give the uninstall idea a try this weekend. Not sure why the Windows installation would be the root cause as the device itself is the part that is taking so long to boot, even without being connected via a debug connection.

The only effect the install would have is if you somehow got a corrupted firmware, at this point with us still not able to reproduce, it is worth a try to eliminate that as a possibility.

@ Dave I was just able to reproduce the problem. When you used FEZConfig to update the LCD, did it tell you there was a device error with a code 0x0001 on the first attempt or two?

@ Dave When you plug the device taking 30 seconds to boot into a computer, does it show up in MFDeploy/FEZConfig right away? If it does, try and ping it. It might say TinyBooter. If it does, while the screen is still white and the device is in TinyBooter mode, goto Advanced -> Clear Bootloader Flag. That should solve the problem.

1 Like

Yes, at the first attempt I got the error. I forgot about that.

It always worked the second time.

In regards to your other question, it takes some time to appear.

Iā€™ll try your fix just now and see if it works.

OK. That seems to have sped up the boot process. No more 30 seconds of white screen. 1 of so and then the boot starts.

Thanks.

Glad to hear itā€™s working.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if Skewwork find the same thing sorts out their boot delay.

That seems to have done the trick :slight_smile: