The future of Gadgeteer

FEZ boards are not Gadgeteer.

@ EvoMotors - I know, that’s why I asked! Go in the Catolog, click on Cobra III and you will see that it is marked as “Legacy”.

This is an error. We will correct the catalog. Thanks for pointing this out.

What about the Display NHVN Module and the GXP Gadgeteer Bridge? Are these also going to be Legacy?

The bridge is not needed. The NHVN will stay until we have a replacement. We still want to give you an easy display option for our other boards.

Hi,
after years! of testing GHI - Gadgeteer if it’s suitable for my lessons I decided this year to buy a set of kits because it was the first time that I could expect a hassle - free approach for my pupils since the last updates.
I used the kits with quite success although there still are some things which make it difficult for beginners. Hanging of the debugger, too few memory, low performance, etc.
Now I read this post and I must say that I am really disappointed.

Greetings
Manfred

@ mflume - Gadgeteer is a good educational tool. We would like to learn more about your students and curriculum. Can we contact you through your email on your profile?

@ Gus - O.K.

Hello
I use in my project G120 and display TE35.
TE35 module you will no longer produce. But what you can offer in return for this module. My development has been completed and the product based on the G120 is already available to consumers. Advise an alternative display module (possibly from a different manufacturer). Or ask them to solve the problem. This is important for my project.

@ rpis - G120 SoM will be available for a very long time. As for the display, please contact us directly with your needs so we can help you plan and cover your needs Contact Us – GHI Electronics

And there are current options available (like the Newhaven displays) as well as community options available, if your quantities don’t reach GHI quantities.

@ mflume - I taught a bunch of classes with Gadgeteer and IMHO it was the best platform available for teaching. We were using pretty basic Surface Pro 3’s with the Community Edition of Visual Studio 2013. The only complaint that I had was the Surface Pro’s only had 1 USB port so meant unplugging the usb mouse to plug in the project board. Next time I guess I’ll grab Bluetooth mice as the mouse makes debugging easier.

[quote=“Duke Nukem”]Next time I guess I’ll grab Bluetooth mice as the mouse makes debugging easier.[/quote] or some $2 USB hubs

@ Brett - Right, I use a usb hub with my surface and it sees my boards fine.

Can you write details about the community options?

you found that thread. 5" display option

I need a solution for the 3.5 "display

So the easiest way to deal with that is to write it down, then cross out the 3 and the decimal point. That way you need a 5" screen that is what is available.

All jokes aside, http://www.newhavendisplay.com/tfts-35-tfts-c-1_591.html have plenty of displays. As far as I know there is not a 3.5" carrier board already available (@ Dave McLaughlin, you don’t have one do you ?) but you could design them and add them to the community collective (if you thought there was value in doing so - I personally have doubts many would want to stay with that size).

OK :slight_smile: nice joke. For my project was important to the screen size is 3.5 “(320x240) or 4.3 (480x272) but it’s worse. Maybe I designed carrier board to 3.5” display.

How many devices are we talking about needing? Designing a carrier board isn’t rocket science but it’s not something I have done, but @ Dave McLaughlin has much experience and he could possibly provide advice or perhaps review your design, or he may even have one he has used (or one he could iterate on to shrink appropriately if it made financial sense to him).