The Future of Gadgeteer is Bright

Freud’s not involved. Mistake on my part. Fixed. :slight_smile:

Pete

The hub will certainly help with expansion.

Also, don’t forget that you don’t need sockets for:

• Power
  • USB
  • Ethernet
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • Probably camera (haven’t tested this yet)
  • Display in some cases (you can use HDMI. Others TBD)

Instead, you can do all of those through native interfaces in Windows 10, through standard sockets on the Pi 2 (power, ethernet, usb)

Pete

3 Likes

That’s some A+ photoshopping right there. :slight_smile:

Pete

Im aware of the Hub, but still think more types and more sockets would make sense on the HAT. Just reminding of the types in the Gadgeteer spec.

So GHI + RasPi + Windows 10?

3 Likes

It’s great news but I hope that nothing will change about .Net Micro Framework.

Having .Net Gadgeteer APIs on more powerful boards like Raspberry Pi 2 it’s great things for prototyping but .Net Micro Framework is needed for boards with MCU without MMU so without supporting an OS.

I hope that GHI will continue to support .Net Micro Framework with its great work, boards and modules.

The .Net Micro Framework team is working hardly to have a better product.

Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

Paolo

4 Likes

On the Microsoft side, we’re continuing to work on NETMF as stated. We are working to make it smaller, leaner, and better performing. That’s an on-going and long-term process.

I don’t speak for GHI, but for them I assume it will be a business decision. If people continue to purchase NETMF boards, they will continue to produce them.

Pete

1 Like

I think more sockets will be better as well, but it depends on what GHI can do there.

Keep in mind that the following sockets are less useful when you have basically a PC under the hat:

SD Card
USB Host
(USB Device on some boards)
Touch
LCD 1, 2, 3
Ethernet

Pete

1 Like

@ Gary - I can’t quite make out the chip in the middle of the HAT. I assume that’s a D/A converter since the Pi doesn’t have one and that’s how you’re getting the “A” sockets? The more the merrier here. The Pi2 has a ton of power. It would be a shame to have to add additional hubs & modules for basic “A” & “P” sockets when they could be added to the HAT fairly cheaply. There’s a lot of real estate on that board.

@ Pete

I know that it is a long term work … I think that Microsoft can’t lose another chance on .Net Micro Framework.

With the right improvements it’s a good embedded platform for a lot of projects.

GHI boards are great for fast prototyping and as member of this community I’ll push people to buy them :slight_smile:

Paolo

3 Likes
1 Like

Plus with an inexpensive USB adapter, WiFi.

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting the chance to slap a “Windows10 Inside” sticker on R2-D2, he already has been running .NETMF for some time now and the new upgrade (R2D2 2.0) is having Gadgeteer put in. I also have been wanting a HoloLens to incorporate, but could not get any information from those guys on specs, price, or timetable. :frowning:

4 Likes

@ mhectorgato - Thanks for answering @ ianlee for me! 8)

Consider that a request more than an assumption :wink:

1 Like

It’s a very good news !!! :clap:

Seems like it’s becoming a good time to consider coming back to MS. Pete? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t stress enough the investment that GHI has made here. They really want to do the best thing, to provide the best kits and modules to you all. They’ve been (and continue to be) a great partner in this work.

Pete

2 Likes

Under Satya, it’s a new Microsoft. :slight_smile:

Pete

@ Pete Brown - Microsoft has been fantastic with all this exciting future planning, and the secret was actually you, the magic glue that is holding it all together. We are like you very excited to see where this is heading.

Thank you :slight_smile:

6 Likes