The best news this year, AOT and 300X faster!

I see a very bright future ahead :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Enlighten us, please. What does this mean?

1 Like

@ Gus - WAT?

UWP apps…on Cortex M? That’s crazy talk!

1 Like

I was hoping that’s what this meant. :smiley:

If UWP apps run on these thingies, what would be NETMF be good for anymore?

@ andre.m - I know what UWP means. Ist the same stuff MS uses for Win Phone 10, Windows 10 Store apps and W10 for RPi2.
So I guess in this case it might be comparable to what is possible on the RPi2.

UWP would be NETMF at that point. It boggles the mind. But, isn’t that what we really always wanted? One .NET Framework to rule them all!

Yep you got it. The same blink LED code will run on a tiny micro (G30) the same way it runs on the RPi.

Actually, I think there still have to be two distinct layers - a HAL layer that is hardware-specific and built within some framework that probably looks a bit like the existing NETMF underpinnings, and then your deployable apps which would transition from being compiled to IL to being AOT compiled.

That’s all supposition on my part, but it is based on the sound presumption that you have to have a HAL layer with a well-defined and cross-platform-consistent ABI, and then you can build portable apps on top of that. The main thing I think that this changes is how those apps get built (and the wondrous speeds at which they will run).

(Glider trainer once told me that our training glider wasn’t slow - it just moved ‘majestically’)

@ ianlee74

1 Like

you promised you wouldn’t share that picture of me before my first cup of coffee!

1 Like

Actually, that looks more like you before 1st lunch.

1 Like

How did you get back on here, I thought I disabled your account?! :whistle:

Me and my link bait spammer friends will never leave! Muhahahaha!

300x faster to than netMF

Edit: there is a blog post too. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/netmfteam/archive/2015/07/08/aot-proof-of-concept-available-for-comments.aspx

1 Like

I expect that for quite a while, NETMF will remain the larger, older and in terms of features more powerful brother of Llilum.

Not to spoil the party - this is wonderful news. But a bit of expectation management may still be healthy. This is very early code, still at least three months away from even a minimal complete rudimentary system. Probably several years away from the feature set of today’s NETMF, let alone of anything larger. There’s still an enormous amount of work needed until it matures from a research prototype to a production system, even if only the bare minimum of drivers is supported in the beginning.

The best we can do for this new platform is, IMHO, to give it time and not pressure Microsoft to provide everything but the kitchen sink. We are talking about microcontrollers, after all. Maybe we should think of it as a .NET nano framework, that is allowed to be smaller (also in terms of API surface) than NETMF. At least for the next couple of years.

However, if we don’t ask for too much, or the Llilum team does the Steve Jobs stunt (saying NO to new features always all the time even under duress from the community), then Llilum could become a fantastic tool.

2 Likes

Check out performance test of toggling a pin:

Very impressive!

1 Like

@ Architect - Exactly that’s the performance I’m waiting for …

Dunno what your all excited about - aint the majority of projects just blinking an LED, pretty much over 10Hz just looks like it’s always on so surly 300Hz is just to bragging?? :whistle:

3 Likes