TE35 Issues

We apologize for the solution to this issue missing from the latest SDK (4.2.4.0 firmware). We needed to focus on more critical areas of the SDK. Rest assured however that this is indeed on our list and we will get back to it as soon as possible.

I do hope these issues can be fixed sometime in March (latest by early April). Else, my project is screwed! The machine we are developing needs to be shipped out for field testing by mid-April.

Originally we were developing our software using Panda II and the FEZ Touch display. Since GHI stopped selling them, my project leader decided to switch our development platform to Hydra + the TE35 display. Unfortunately, he didn’t notice/find out about this problem prior to ordering 5 sets of Hydra and the TE35. Since I’m more familiar with VB than C#, I’ve upgraded the firmware in my Hydra to 4.2 (it was originally shipped with 4.1). After trying out Glide (version 1.0.5) today, I found that the touch performance of Hydra + TE35 is unbelievably slower than Panda II + FEZ Touch. It’s really disappointing considering that the Hydra is supposedly A LOT faster than the Panda II (ie. 200 MHz vs 72 MHz). I have to admit that the screen drawing performance of Hydra IS a lot faster then Panda II’s. Being able to finally use Glide is great! But touch response is equally as important as fast screen updates for us.

The flickering on the TE35 is also quite apparent. I don’t remember seeing FEZ Touch flicker.

Now I’m really stuck. My project leader didn’t order any other accessory for input (eg: Button/Joystick/Keypad Modules). Without a properly working touch input, it’s really difficult for me to test my software’s UI & related functionality (currently I’m just setting timers & flicking the Debug LED on and off). Our target is actually to control motors, read sensors etc.

Would there be any temporary work-around to these issues? For example, downgrading the firmware in Hydra back to NETMF 4.1? Would that be possible? I know I’ll be losing VB support by doing this but I think I can survive with C#. Development will just be a bit slower for me.

Thanks.

Hi FarisWong
Regarding the touch problem., you should switch to the skd/firmware package from 29.11.2012.
This one is working for me (Hydra /T35).
Perhaps you could have a look at Net.Clix or Tinkr from skewworks.com. I find it easier than Glide for building a nice UI.

greetings
Chris

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the suggestion but… where can I find the firmware package dated 29 November 2012? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. The latest I could find is dated Sept. 14, 2012 from GHI’s download website.

I showed the Clix & Tinkr demo videos to my project leader. He’s excited to say the least. This may be off-topic but, one of the requirements of Clix/Tinkr is “Minimum 200K program space”. How do I check how much free flash space does my Hydra have left?

@ FarisWong - I will pass this feedback on to our team.

As a work around, you can read touch manually in C#.See this please http://www.tinyclr.com/codeshare/entry/563

Any idea how to make that driver work with Glide?

@ FarisWong, please don’t post the same question several times in different threads. Someone will get back to you in the actual managed drivers thread.