Task Tracker - Ability to change the COM port for serial debugging

I just posted Ability to change the COM port for serial debugging on Task Tracker. Feel free to discuss and make suggestions here.

Given that users have access to the configuration sector with recent SDK release, could GHI team consider adding an option for user to choose which COM port is used for debugging? :whistle:

What would be the benefit?

@ Gus - In general, features like this provide higher versatility. For example, in my case I wanted to use CDC and have COM1 available (in socket #5) so that I could plug in Gadgeteer module on Cobra II. I am pretty sure users would find other usages of this feature as well. Plus, you would be able to match Netduino offer - it is already possible to switch debugging port with their hardware.

Allowing to switch the interface can lead users into a device with a confusing state, like the loader runs on com1 and then the firmware on com2. We did support this inn the past but created confusion for a small benefit.

@ Gus - Well, if users get confused at such a simple things like this or Gadgeteer module vs onboard module (the issued that you have talked another day), then I really have doubts if those users are going to use your products at all. Maybe the problem was (is) that there was (is) no good explanation anywhere about what is what and why it differs.

If that was supported in the past, then it should be not very hard to bring it back again. I will quote you @ Gus: “We are all about giving you options”. Yeah, please gives us options and let us decide what to use and what don’t :wink:

Ability to change the COM port for serial debugging was updated.

Status went from Proposed to Open.
Priority went from Unassigned to Trivial.

Ability to change the COM port for serial debugging was updated.

Status went from Open to Closed.