http://www.black-swift.com/

Qualcomm Atheros AR9331 SoC
MIPS 24K CPU core at 400 MHz
64 MB DDR2 RAM and 16 MB NOR flash
Over 25 GPIOs
25x35x4mm

1 Like

Wow, that is a very nice board.

Nice! Iā€™m going to have to get some of those to use for WiFi modules if nothing else.

Looks awesome!

1 Like

LOL, now your talking!

@ mtylerjr - Shouldnā€™t that be a ā€œY-Fi Antennaā€? :smiley:

@ mtylerjr - I had to go back and look at the site to make sure I didnā€™t miss anything. Good fake there. Shouldā€™ve realized it would be too good to be true.

Iā€™m assuming, since theyā€™re selling so cheap, that the WiFi chip theyā€™re using must not be FCC, etc. certified.

You have to envision thingsā€¦ ā€œput it out there into the universeā€ as my Kiwi wife would say, for them to happen, lol.

@ devhammer - I think they mentioned, that one of the goals is to get FCC certification.

See the ā€œStretch Goalsā€ in the Kickstarter.

For some reason, this oneā€™s tripping my skepticism meter.

Seems weird that the pricing is in NZ dollars, when the team is from Russia. Seems way too cheap for the features theyā€™re offering. And from all Iā€™ve read, FCC certification may not be a sure thing, or may end up costing them a lot more than they think.

All in all, not for me, though I can understand the enthusiasm. :slight_smile:

Yea. When I came home and started looking it over again tonight I started getting that same feelingā€¦ The cool thing about most of these is they get vetted pretty hard and most of the scams are revealed before the end.

@ ianlee74 - I donā€™t know that I think itā€™s a scam, per se. But it would be fair to say that I lack confidence in the likelihood that what is being promised will be delivered in full.

OTOH, if you get in early, youā€™d only be out $20 plus shipping, so at least the loss is limited. :wink:

and thatā€™s what a scammer usually wants you to think :wink:

NZ dollars, team is Russian, most of which live in China, who somehow worked at Samsung.
maybe Samsung is behind the plot lol.

just saying !

I went to check main guys blog. Typical programmer/engineer/geek.
He did moved to NZ around 2010.

Looks valid to me.

Edit: Creator said they have 3 ex-Samsung people on the team.

Hi there

Let me answer your questions :slight_smile:

1. Itā€™s not scam

2. There are similar boards already on sale at similar price (Carambola 2, VoCore, ELink M150ā€¦) but we are not happy with them for different reasons

3. Project based in Russia, thereā€™s a small Russian company behind it ā€” Smart Electronics LLC, http://www.smartlx.ru

4. Kickstarter allows you to transfer money to selected countries only, Russia is not on the list. So to start a project you need someone who lives in one of those countries ā€” usually itā€™s US, but we donā€™t have anyone in US and we donā€™t want to pay to middlemen

5. If you want to make electronics cheaply, you have to make it in China. Thatā€™s why Hong Kong. We can make it in Russia if you want, but price will be at least 20 % higher, probably more than 20 %.

6. Profit definitely is not huge, but itā€™s not our goal ā€” we are contract electronics developer, we want Black Swift for ourselves, but to have it at reasonable price we have to produce it in reasonably quantites ā€” which means thousands, not dozens

7. If you can read Russian (or use Google translate, itā€™s awful, but sometimes more or less understandable), you can find the whole projectā€™s history here: Posts / Profile of dzhe / Habr (for example, the first prototype, June 2014: ŠœŠ°Š»ŠµŠ½ŃŒŠŗŠøŠ¹ сŠµŃ‚ŠµŠ²Š¾Š¹ Š¾Š“Š½Š¾ŠæŠ»Š°Ń‚Š½Ń‹Š¹ ŠŗŠ¾Š¼ŠæьютŠµŃ€ Š·Š° 20 USD / Habr) and then here: Black Swift, ŠœŠ¾ŃŠŗŠ²Š° / Articles / Habr

8. ā€œEdit: Creator said they have 3 ex-Samsung people on the teamā€
    Yep! Me (Mobile dept. in Samsung Russia), Dmitry (Samsung Russia R&D Center) and Alexander (Mobile R&D in Seoul).

Any more questions, gentlemen? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome Oleg and thank you for clarification!

Making links visible.

@ olegart - Thanks for the responseā€¦always nice to engagement from a stakeholder. I can see where KSā€™s rules put you all in a tougher position. Good luck with your project.