Summer contest, we are almost ready

The production board is tested to work well. We will be posting the contest details soon.

Here are some images to get you thinking :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sign me up! :smiley:

COOL!

But with the laws these days you’ll have to provide a wire cage shield around it to protect the user…

Heck yes, I have seen these on youtube, I would definitely like to try my hand at that!

@ Gus How loud is it?

loud? we are turning it using hand, not motor for now. What you guys will do in the contest is build motors, shielding…etc. Whatever you need ot make it look amazing and win :slight_smile:

I see. I thought you have it running on motor. Hard to guess from a static image.

Anyways, this sounds like a cool contest!

Nice! I’d almost forgotten about this. This is going to be a fun one!

This Kickstarter made me think of this contest…

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919009864/bring-back-the-wavywand?ref=category

For rev2 … could you use RGB leds?

We thought about this but we like to see how creative we all can be with this one first.

Are there sensors (gyro, accelerometer) already on the module or do they have to be added?

we tried hall sensor but it was slow so then we replaced it with a reflective sensor.

Interesting. Most POV systems I’ve looked at in the past use a Hall sensor. Was the sensor too slow or was just having the managed layer the problem?

@ ianlee74 - I am going to go out on a limb here and I am happy to be wrong on this. I doubt this is being done with managed code at all. I would guess the implementation is native code on the LPC1113 ie. reading the pulses from the sensor, calculating the position of the LED strip at a point in time and signaling the relevant LEDs to render the image sliver for that position. At best the managed code is just feeding the initial image data to the LPC. That would be my guess anyway. Yes, I can’t wait to try my hand at this :slight_smile:

That’s what I would have guessed also. That’s why I’m surprised at their problems experienced with the Hall sensor since so many others have done it that way.

yes of course. Managed only sends high level commands but pixel-scanning is done on the daisylink chip.

DaisyLink… Hmmm. I’m curious at how people make use of that. The cable might be a bit of a problem in the usual spinning configuration. Will we be able to get multiple modules for the contest?

Maybe he’s just referring to the M0?

But looking at the photo on post #1, there are 2 sockets on the board.

Yep. Looks like the whole thing is one big Daisylink module.