Main Site Documentation

STM32F405 breakout board


#1

Just received and built a new board bases on the STM32F405 (Cerberus) MCU. Thought it would help me understand how all the I/O works without the safety net of Gadgeteer. However, as you can see, even the best checked designs are immune to stupid errors. :-[

I had to solder a USB cable to the board as I mis-tracked the USB connector :wall:

Oh well, it only took a couple of hours to find it, but at least it’s programming up now.


#2

I understand what you can feel :-[

Nice board, anyway. Why didn’t you put double rows ? You could have reduced the board’s size ?


#3

The board size wasn’t too much of a concern and the spacing allows me to plug it into my breadboard. The DF Robot board sizes still allow me to get 2 boards per panel and reduce the costs.


#4

@ Jason - You are not alone when it comes to this type of mistakes :wink: Just curious, how is the going with the dimmer control board?


#5

Looks great. I’m just curious why this instead of using an STM32F4 Discovery board? It’s super cheap and the bugs are already worked out.


#6

Where’s the fun in that??? :smiley:


#7

@ RobvanSchelven - I’ve got it working. I was trying to get it to work with a BLE but I need an updated SDK for it. The opto-triacs are zero-volt switching which limit when the switching occurs. I’ve got some random switching opto’s which I hope to try this week.


#8

Got the BLE working from my WP8.1 too now. I just need to tie some mains lights (or something) to the TRIAC board and I’ll post an update.

Not sure I’ll make it to the shed to get what I need today though. Seems like we’re being pounded by a weather front from all directions.


#9

Hi Jason,
Great progress…

would you please share the schematics and the BOM of the switching board through the turnkeyassembly.com i would really like to give it a shot :), ii it is going to be Open source of course :wink:

thanks.


#10

[quote=“Jason”]
Just received and built a new board bases on the STM32F405 (Cerberus) MCU. [/quote]

I thought of doing the same, just for the sakes of doing it … otherwise I could just buy a Cerb40 or Discovery.


#11

[quote=“mhectorgato”]

I have bigger plans that include Ethernet, CAN, I2C and multiple connected devices with webservices and SQL or Azure in the backend. Doing it step by step means I can (hopefully) make all my mistakes along the way and not when it’s too late in the game to change them. Hope my approach pays off.


#12

@ Jay Jay, do you mean the Power Switching Triac Board? Let me know and I’ll get it uploaded in the next few days.

I hope to be able to get the WP8.1 source and NETMF source uploaded to CodeShare too for those who are interested. Time permitting I might port the WP8.1 to my Surface too. It would be nice to do a short YouTube video of it all working as well. I see how much time I get.

Keep watching…


#13

[quote=“Jason”]

Well I’m taking the same approach. I’ve got a board with several different ICs laid out already, but am building tester boards for the individual ICs for that same reason.


#14

I’m hoping to do something similar with bluetooth and some small microcontroller, not sure which ones yet. Size is my most important consideration, has to be very small.


#15

@ Jason - Question, how long did it take you from when you sent out to get the board made to when you figured out the connections were incorrect?


#16

Interesting question. Why do you ask?

Most of my netmf excursions are as a hobbyist so time is not overly important; however my learnt lessons are frequently used in my day job…

Three weeks end to end. Most was spent waiting for the boards to arrive. A couple of hours populating a couple of boards. Another three troubleshooting and attempting a fix and finally five soldering a USB cable to the board.


#17

Yes the power switching Triac :slight_smile: please.


#18

@ Jay Jay - All done. The BOM sections is a bit labour intensity but here it is:

https://www.turnkeyassembly.com/project/65

Let me know how you get on.


#19

The Windows RT app was virtually the same code as WP8.1. Works great and here’s the screen gab. Now I just need to decide what to do with all that extra screen space…


#20

Here’s the setup in my shed, testing the four channels from my Surface. The video goes back at the end - all lights are off…

http://youtu.be/HhXSLM2lwU4