Main Site Documentation

Static ctor ordering

Me thinks there is an issue/bug with static ctor call order in general. A class with a static ctor that depends on a static ctor in another class causing some kind of circular issue. Before spending time making some simple code, is this a known issue already? tia

No known issues.

Add debug print to ctors and see what is happening

Here is simple example showing the non-construction dependency issue.

public class Static1
    {
        static string myVar;

static Static1()
        {
            myVar = Static2.MyVar;
        }
        public static string MyVar
        {
            get { return myVar; }
        }
        public static void TestIssue()
        {
            string mv = Static1.MyVar;
            if (mv == null)
                Debug.Print("MyVar is null."); //OUTPUT is null running this test.
            else
                Debug.Print(mv);
        }
    }
    public class Static2
    {
        static string myVar;
        static Static2()
        {
            myVar = "Static2Value";
        }
        public static string MyVar
        {
            get { return myVar;}
        }
    }

If you require a value in ctor1 that constructed in ctor2 you get null, instead of the value. Same code works correctly in Big.Net. IIRC, ordering this correctly in .net was non-trivial. So maybe they took some shortcuts and missed the side effects. I am sure other more useful examples can be found.

You are correct. It turns out to be something that is not supported by NETMF. We will open an issue for it.

If anyone wants to keep track:

http://netmf.codeplex.com/workitem/980

It is also possible “lock” this up on a single type. Don’t have the code as I had to work around it. So static ctor in general seems to have issues.

From some basic experimentation, it appears that static constructors are executed within an application in .NETMF in alphabetical order and has nothing to do with dependencies whatsoever.