Spider in the field

How about a picture of Gus as the background?

Clear matte is also a good choice.

You will have to pay me to use my picture :wink:

I think we can get Mike, Josh or Joe for a lot less…

I was thinking of photoshoping Gus’ head on that cartoon Spider image they’re using…

Hmmmm. On second thought, I think I would rather have GHI monkey.

@ mike - I’ve got two queries out for cutting the Spider Web. I’m hoping to get a few cut by the time the Spider is released at the end of this month. Stay tuned…

@ Mike - Seems like my 2 contacts for a laser cutting quote on the ‘spider web’ are blowing me off. One did respond and say he was busy… so I may bite the price bullet and go the Ponoko route. The current design priced at $27.21 + shipping. If you’re interested (or not), let me know. I’m doing a NETMF presentation at our local .NET UG in a couple of weeks and would like to have it for that, so will be ordering in the next day or two. Alternatively, I can publish the design file on Ponoko, and you (or anybody else) can order from them directly whenever you like. This latter approach gives you the chance to pick your own material.

Anybody else want a few small jobs to keep their laser cutter busy? or know anybody with a laser cutter for hire?

seems easiest thing to do is to order direct, unless ordering two gives you an advantage.

I’ll publish the design file and post the link here.

[edit] published at [url]Online Custom Laser Cutting Service - Used By Apple - FREE Sample

or know anybody with a laser cutter for hire?

Have you checked around for local hackerspaces? Some of these places have fairly nice rigs and sometimes rent out time or will take misc jobs…

I’ve been eyeing (as one example) www.makeitlabs.com, who are about an hour N of me. They’ve got a 150W CNC laser and might be open to running a side job… No affiliation - just a thought.

@ ddurant - a local hackerspace has yet to take hold in my area. There have been a couple false starts, but nothing that would operate gadgets like a laser cutter. I live in a college town, so most of the hacker crowd is transient. The “locals” like myself have yet to gel into an organized collective.

Followup on the SpiderWeb…

randomhall posted his design for the SpiderWeb mounting board for the Spider on the Ponoko site so others could use it to have a board built.

I took the design and priced it out on the Ponoko site. With shipping, the price came to about $45.

Sometimes I get frugal stupid… that means I spend a lot of time trying to save a few dollars where the time spent is out of proportion to the savings.

The orignal design had an area for mounting the display, and under the display there were no mounting holes, and an image of a spider was being engraved. I decided to remove the spider to save a few cents.

I then thought, I will always need the power board and the mainboard, so why not find a location for them and remove the holes under them. I could then save a few more cents. BTW,75% of the cost of the board is the laser time to cut the holes. The next biggest expense is shipping.

After spending a good deal of time trying to find the optimum location for the display, mainboard and power module, I realized that I could not find a configuration which would always work for me.

I then decided, rather then spending several more hours looking for an optimum solution, should one exist, I would have a board made with all the holes, giving me maximum flexibility.

The cost of a fully “populated” board, about 7+ inches square, came to around $50. A bit expensive, but I wanted to gain some experience using the InkScape 2D drawing package and working with Ponoko.

I am looking forward to see what comes out.

Those little circles are pricey! I went through exactly the same process - trying to get the cost down by ‘permanently’ placing several components. I couldn’t resist adding the spider, though. Of course that erased any cost savings, but the extra bling is nice when showing this to friends.

I have used Ponoko several times in the last couple of months, so went with their Prime membership. This dropped the SpiderWeb to about $26 (w/o shipping). I’m still looking for somebody in the northeast to do the work to save on cost/time/shipping, and will post an update if that materializes.

SpiderWeb with hardware. Design files at [url]Online Custom Laser Cutting Service - Used By Apple - FREE Sample

Up close:

Some perspective:

Nice setup!

OMG Razorlab (the uk ponoko partner) want $83 bucks to make the Spiderweb in standard black acrylic! >:(

Really? That seems out of whack. Even without the ‘prime’ discount, I think this came it at around $40 (w/o shipping) stateside. I’m still looking for somebody to crank out a bunch of these. Will update here if that works out.

My order has been queued at Ponoko for nine days. I guess non-prime customers have to wait.