SPI Clock

With the SPI bus, does the CK (clock) pin continue to provide clock pluses even if the bus is not in use? I want to use it with the dSpin L6470 IC to provide an external clock source (see pg 26 of datasheet http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00255075.pdf). I plan on using this to try and get more synchronicity out of the stepper drivers. If left to drift with temp (and they get hot) and time, then I’ll have to recalibrate every so often to get them back in line. I want to calibrate less often. I would like to get 150 hours of continuous operation without significant cumulative error.

If I have to stop every so often to do a calibration, then it will cause long running operations to take longer. The reason why I want to use the SPI clock source is because I am using a 16 pin ribbon cable, with a 16 pin idc connector. If I use a wider cable, it may not fit in the cable chain, the connector will take up more space, and there will be more EMI noise in the robot.

The clock is toggled during data Transfer only.
If you do a 16 bit read/write, you get 16 pulses.
This is also because every read/write Operation could be for a different device, and by this have a different frequency.

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Humm. okies. Thanks