Some more cool news: AllJoyn

@ Duke - Didn’t the CC3000 show us a great way to handle that problem? If the device has WiFi, it can also create a peer-to-peer network with your smartphone to get that info. How about that WPS button that every WiFi router has now?

As far as power, I think most of the things that this is currently targeting are larger appliances that are plugged in anyway. Your toaster would only need to power up the WiFi for those few seconds when it actually does something. So, no big concern there.

I imagine that hubs will be used for those cases where really low power devices really are needed that might benefit from some other wireless method.

Too early to tell, IMO.

Edit: Let me clarify. There are a LOT of standards out there. We’re throwing in with AllJoyn/AllSeen, but it’s not necessarily the only one. This one just has enough industry leaders signed up to make it viable and useful.

It’s also OSS, and not controlled by a single company who isn’t known for playing well with others or sticking to standards :smiley:

Pete

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - if you use WPS and Dr. Evil is around your network could find itself under new management Wi-Fi Protected Setup - Wikipedia

I can’t stop thinking about this… I need to build an example. However, despite this page that claims there exists a C# reference app I can’t seem to locate it.

https://www.alljoyn.org/alljoyn-framework-tutorial/building-alljoyn-application

It almost seems to me that the alljoyn.org site is deprecated and the only information you should pay attention to is that on the allseenalliance.org site.

So, since AllJoyn is going to be included in Windows 10 does that mean that Microsoft has provided a C# language binding or are they just using the C++ version? Has anyone found a good C# example?

Unfortunately, the user/credentials layer on the allseenalliance.org forums seems to be a bit broken and I can’t seem to get my account setup so that I can actually ask questions there :frowning:

@ ianlee74 - Abstract from the readme included with the latest win64sdk

[quote]Starting with AllJoyn release 14.06, all Core Standard Library SDK’s are built by the AllSeen Alliance.
For AllJoyn’s Unity binding, this means that the pre-built AllJoyn.unitypackage file can no longer be provided.
The new SDK’s include everything needed to create the AllJoyn.unitypackage, except the Unity IDE itself.
Therefore, Unity developers can easily create their own AllJoyn.unitypackage file(s).[/quote]

@ PiWi - I guess I need to learn more about Unity… I thought that was just for game development. I’m not sure how that ports to standard C# app development such as with NETMF.

@ andre.m - First, I just want to make a quick demo of two apps that can recognize each other and view the services provided by each and act on them. Then I want to try and take that to NETMF…

@ All - They killed the samples folder in the latest SDK, alright. But not the docs for c#

That’s what I’m trying to determine. How much has already been developed vs. how much I have to develop to just get the end result. If I have to implement a router then maybe I will but I suspect that if Microsoft is building this into Win10 then they are also helping put together some examples of how to use it. Anyway, I’m not really concerned about it being too much work at this point. To build a useful IoT the way I envision it we have to have this type of protocol and not a bunch of proprietary sensor node type devices whose main concern is living for 5 years without replacing batteries.

BTW, Arduino Yun has AllJoyn built-in to the WiFi module. Frankly, adding a Linux WiFi module is probably by far the easiest way to get this up & running.

No… Actually, I meant to type Arduino Yun. It’s late in the day. Sorry. Original post has been edited.

Yea. I’ve seen that. That’s probably not the preferred way to go anymore now that there’s Yun and all you have to do is install the AllJoyn package into Linduino (actually, I think I read somewhere where this is done by default now).

Unity might be referring to the Microsoft Patterns & Practices dependency injection framework, rather than Unity3D the game dev platform:

http://unity.codeplex.com/

Just a thought…

UPDATE: Never mind…after a bit more digging, it looks like it is referring to Unity the game dev tool. Odd, but there you go:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/the-alljoyn-awesome-framework.174275/

Yea, its odd but it seems that most of the examples of using AllJoyn revolve around multiplayer games & entertainment. To me the benefits are so much bigger than that. It really could enable the ultimate in automation & telemetry experiences.

it probably makes sense until you think about how much the HA industry is worth to consumers versus how much the game industry is.