Solved: IFU 4.2 to 4.3 on EMX possible or not

We have a device installed on a boat at HongKong. I am wondering if I can upgrade the FW using IFU from 4.2 to 4.3.

I have try to do that in my office to check if it works but It fails on loading Firmware2.hex.

In order to not waste too much time in trying to update by IFU method does anyone know if it works or not?

While we try our best not to, unfortunately memory regions may get moved on major releases and this prevents the in field update.

1 Like

Ok thanks !

there no need to invest more time on that

That is good to know!
We have a bunch of units at a couple of plants somewhere in Canada and I was expecting to be able to update them from 4.2 to 4.3 by sending them the firmware and getting them to copy it into a folder on their uSD card and then doing an IFU.
Looks like it won’t be so easy

I even asked my boss to update from 4.2 to 4.3 using FEZ Config and he succeed to … fail :wall:

1 Like

My boss comes back today with the faulty board.

I tried to update from 4.2 to 4.3 using FEZ Config with the same results. Upgrade is OK but after uploading the app.hex, the board does not run it.

Then I go to the bootloader and check its version using terraterm and “v” command. It returns V1.02

I erase the board using “E” and uploade the loader.ghi using “X”.
Upgrade on SDK 4.3 and the board run directly the app.hex

How is it possible?

Can we upgrade a 4.2 version to 4.3 using FEZ config only? is there several 1.02 version of the bootloader?

To investigate more is there any repository where all the version of the bootlader could be downloaded with reinstalling full old realease of netmf? May be some of you guys at GHI team have this?

You need to update tinybooter, which is different from the loader.

@ leforban -
Apologies to hijack the post!
This off topic, would mind sharing what you are doing with the EMX on a boat? You could send me a private msg if you don’t feel the need to share publicly.
Reason I’m interested, I just got a Boat and I’m fully restoring it by hand and would be interested to know what I can do with my boards to enhance it and save some cash on all those crazy expensive electronics.

I guess I should create a new topic for the discussion.

Jay