Socket for IC's

With the end of the “Gadgeteer” mechanical standard, I’ve been looking at options to move forward, with the least redesign between the unstoppable short life cycle between new chips, processors, ect…

As I’ve been reviewing the different off the shelf components, I’ve noticed a trend for a reasonable amount to be on pcb’s, sharing the same 1.27mm pitch spacing as the G400 & G120, and realized the radio that I’ve been using uses the same as well. Given the cost of the radio’s, (needed for the environment I’m in) I don’t want to have to replace an entire board to replace a radio. Then I discovered that they have had a custom socket & cover created, with the pricing being in the $3 price range. Unfortunately, they have a minimum quantity of 1000, so I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in a similar socket / cover for the G400 / G120, (and possibly even an adapter module for the other chips, pinout compatible)…

I’m kinda hoping if there is enough interest, it might encourage GHI to look at this as an option, as I could have main boards pre populated, and purchase Modules as needed, as well as being able to replace a single malfunctioning component, vs replacing an entire board.

3 Likes

Hmm, interesting idea, do you have a link to the spec page?