Smart refrigerators and TVs hacked to send out spam

I can hardly wait till my light bubs etc are hacked and used to bounce spam. Really guys we need to beware that as much as we love to build devices, hackers love the devices we build as well, but for the wrong reasons. Security shouldn’t be the last thing we consider (if at all) when building devices.

1 Like

I thought this was funny: [em]Et tu, refrigerator?[/em]

For anyone that does not understand the reference it is what Caesar said to Brutus when he discovered his friend helped in his betrayal, albeit, he said Et tu, Brute? :slight_smile:

But this is somewhat ridiculous to what end hackers, or more appropriately, crackers will go to disrupt our lives.

@ Duke Nukem -

Your light bulb sending spams ?

Don’t you know it is already possible : http://lifx.co/

:wall:

@ LouisCpro - Funny stuff. I like this:

[quote]Ease into your day

Wake up naturally each morning with automatically increasing light.[/quote]

They invented that a while ago… it’s called the sun. But I guess if you’ve got $90 burning a hole in your wallet, and you think that your smartphone is a better user interface than the switch on the wall…

Posting preemptively here…

Yeah, I get it, it’s neat stuff. Being able to change colors wirelessly and stuff is technically impressive, but man, that’s an expensive light bulb! I wonder if you could get it to mine bitcoins…?

1 Like

It would be nice to know how many of those devices were embedded Linux vs proprietary OS or no OS.

It would be interesting to put a Cerb or even a G400 out in a honey pot and see what a hacker could actually do to it. A Denial of Service attack would be pretty simple by overwhelming it with data but could they hack it enough to actually change the code and send malicious data.

@ godefroi -

I agree it is very expensive just for one bulb, but as everything in the world, the more you will sell, the lower the price will be…

When flat screens appeared years ago, it was about 500$ for on 19 inch, as it is now less than 50$…

So, a bulb at 9$ would be much more interesting …No ?

@ skeller -

Yeah ! Security is always coming in front of the discussions and it is the only problem with those technologies if you can not ensure a good level of security…

This is also the argument that makes the big actors say that it is better to use a proprietary technology such as X10 and so on, which is less easy to hack (as they say !).

But finally, how much is it interesting to hack a bulb ? and what for ? making my neighboors’ lights switch on and off a night ? Mabye if it is when they are off the house, they will thanks as it made a rubber run away… :open_mouth:

Manufacturers first have to change the way devices are leaving the factory…
Most end users just open the box and plug it in… leaving the factory password as it was shipped :wink:

[edit] how many routers do you have seen with admin / admin or admin / blanco login as default…

@ David@ Emrol -

So true ! :wall:

Last year when I bought my router, they actually made a unique password for the device. It was not the typical admin / admin, it was actually admin12345… lol, just joking :wink: , but it was a fairly strong password in the sense it had caps and lowercase and numbers.

There is a light at the end off the tunnel… at last…
But is it the exit or a train comming?

I had a wifi router on my desk just 2 hours ago… strait from the shop, and guess what…

Admin and a blanco password…

I was thinking about this sort of thing while reading a security teardown of the Nest thermostat. If these smart devices become ubiquitous and you can gain control of a large number then you could do some really nasty stuff to the power grid.