Smart Cover Touch

Well, yeah… the Lumias have great cameras, and a great high res screen. I’m mostly talking about the timelapse, 720p/240fps, 4K/30fps video… gopro type features. I dont think the lumia can do 240 FPS (checking)… it seems limited to 30fps. And cant do 4K capture (although the upcoming Lumia 940 will be able to do 2160P @ 30fps)

So that is a very specific thing… you can use the iphone6s like a more expensive (but only slightly less capable) gopro…That seems to be the one feature they lead in at the moment. Plus you can buy a box of cheap gopro batteries and record forever without being around an outlet, an carry several 64gb microsD cards. The iphone fails in that regard, so I’d rather have a phone without the apple baggage, [em]and [/em]a Gopro, for the same $$$ :slight_smile:

I like swimming in the ocean with the gopro on my head:

…and I have some spares in my pocket (in a plastic bag) and if Im not over-my-head-deep, I can easily swap batteries. I could swap memory cards too, but I never swim out there long enough to fill my 64gb card.

2 Likes

I kept waiting for the shark. :open_mouth:

240fps is definitely impressive. I hadn’t seen that part. Is that real or interpolated?

Real, I think:

THAT is one of the differences between NZ and AUS :smiley:
No Sharks!

If they really wanted to impress us, they would have put an infrared camera or an ultraviolet camera on it. Or just let it shoot black and white at 1000 frames per second - now that would have some uses other than watching dogs dry off.

I have had both iPhones and Android phones, I like them both for different reasons. I don’t think because someone likes an iPhone that they are automatically following the masses. Of course, there are people who bought the iPhone for the coolness factor and wait in line for hours when a new one comes out but that does not mean everyone is like that.

And if you are calling me a goat Mr. Smith then I can’t be held responsible for anything that may or may not happen with your account or avatar… :whistle:

I think it’s fine for people to buy and use what works for them.

As someone who’s endured the assertions that Apple is superior to Microsoft when it comes to product design, I simply offer this image.

(and FWIW, I do think Apple has a great track record of making beautiful hardware. Their keyboard cover is an exception to that rule. Ugly.)

H/T to @ tomwarren which is where I found the pic: [url]https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/641914614939262976[/url]

@ ianlee74 - The strength of the cameras in the Lumia line and the iPhone 6 aren’t in the resolution; I have a One M9 with a very high resolution camera (20mp vs 8mp on the iPhone 6 and 12mp on the iPhone 6S), and allow me to review this camera in one word: “dismal”. It prompted me to finally replace my film SLR with a digital SLR. It’s a cheap one (cheaper than the phone), but even at 16mp, the pictures it takes are worlds ahead of the phone. That, and a 75-300mm lens helps in a lot of situations :slight_smile:

We had a meeting with a professor for a local university and he flat out said that they avoid solutions from Microsoft. That NETMF was the first time he was looking into an offering from Microsoft and he was probably going to pick something else partly because it was a MS offering.

Clearly, no phone camera will ever outdo a DSLR with big glass. However, my experience since I got my Lumia 920 (w/ 8MP camera) has been that it almost has. I used to carry my big Canon DSLR and lenses everywhere. Now, I almost never touch it or the camcorder. The quality certainly isn’t great for every condition but its “good enough” for most every situation except really far distance shots that I don’t miss the DSLR much. I’m looking forward to upgrading to a Lumia this fall with a 20MP camera.

@ ianlee74 - Agree…MP isn’t the only thing. Part of it is the lens train, and part of it is the processing.

The best photo I’ve ever taken in my life (of the Basilica di San Francesco in Assisi, Italy) was taken with my 920.

As for camera phone vs. Digital SLR, I’ll just repeat advice I’ve been given…the best camera for taking photos is the one you have with you. I use my SLR for some situations, but it’s not a camera I carry with me unless I’m planning to take photos. Which means it stays home 99.5% of the time.

@ devhammer - Exactly my situation. My old phone (Galaxy S4) used to be “good enough” that I used to take pictures of everything. The M9, however, is bad enough that when I’m planning to take pictures, I take the SLR. It’s a smaller one (APS-C, i.e. 1.6x), so it’s not too bad to carry around.

My old Nikon D70 will be going to Australia with me for the big race. Last time I goofed and took a compact but was so cheesed off with the pics that the DSLR is going this time. It might only be 6MP but it produces some awesome pictures. The new Edge+ phone though will do for taking HD or 4K video clips.

[EDITED to change to D70]

@ godefroi - That’s one of the reasons I stick with Lumia phones. While the very low-end phones don’t have great cameras (for example, my wife has a Lumia 630, and the camera is decent but nothing to write home about), the PureView models are all excellent. I have had the 920, the 1520, and I currently use an 830. The latter is the weakest of the bunch, but it still takes fine photos.

The one nice thing about my SLR is that despite it being an older model (Nikon D70s), I don’t feel as though I need to upgrade it at the same rate as I do a phone. Though buying a decent new lens can be as expensive as buying an unlocked phone off-contract.

:slight_smile:

Unlike your charging cradle, chargers, covers, etc for your phone you don’t have to upgrade your lenses with every new camera purchase. Unlike the camera body, I actually consider the lens somewhat of an investment.

1 Like

I do a lot of wildlife photography so have invested in some BIG lenses. It does mean that I am now tied to a particular brand of camera but you do tend to think of the camera body as the ‘disposable’ item. The glass should, excluding mishaps, last me a lifetime but I will no doubt change bodies several times.

I just wouldn’t be able to afford to swap to a different manufacturer now without taking a big hit.

I just realized that after all this banter, I didn’t actually know what the Smart Cover Touch was. Good thing I just looked it up. Apple steals like the great artists they are.

1 Like

Too bad Apple employs hordes of lawyers to prevent others from being ‘great artist’ as well.

1 Like

@ Duke Nukem - Indeed; thieves have the best security!

I am protected against the evil Apple Empire!

2 Likes