Size of Application Deployment

I know this subject has come up many times before, but I guess I still don’t fully understand how to interpret the information displayed during deployment.

I’m writing an application for the Panda II that has two projects (main and sub-project).
When I deploy to the device, I randomly see different sizes for the “total size”:

Incrementally deploying assemblies to device
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 69672 bytes
Assemblies successfully deployed to device.

Deploying assemblies for a total size of 32768 bytes

Deploying assemblies for a total size of 48872 bytes

Why does this happen, and how do I determine the actual size deployed?

(thinking on my feet here - danger Will Robinson ! :slight_smile: )

If you ERASE your app first, then deploy, what do you see? That would be what I guess is your FULL application deployment size.

The “incrementally” piece is the bit that I think is influencing the results you see; some things aren’t revised so don’t need to be deployed.

Thanks @ Brett, I do some experimenting to see if I can make any sense of the numbers.

I did as @ Brett suggested, and erased the application using the GHI Config tool.
Here is the full output:

Querying device assemblies…
Found Assembly mscorlib 4.1.2821.0
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\Assemblies\le\ghielectronics.netmf.system.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Desktop\JDI.MusicPlayer\JDI.NETMF.Shields.Music\bin\Release\le\jdi.netmf.shields.music.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Desktop\JDI.MusicPlayer\JDI.MusicPlayer\bin\Release\le\JDI.MusicPlayer.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\Assemblies\le\ghielectronics.netmf.io.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\Assemblies\le\ghielectronics.netmf.native.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Native.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.pe to deployment bundle
Attempting deployment…
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 40964 bytes

More testing…

Switched from VS2012 back to VS2010, and am getting more consistent results now…

Release version:
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 71772 bytes

Debug version:
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 72720 bytes

Apparently VS2012 was the problem.
Anyone else have similar issues with NETMF 4.1 and VS@ 012?

@ Brett - With VS2010 it doesn’t seem to matter if I erase the firmware or not, the deployment size is the same. Maybe there were some “enhancements” made in VS2012.