Seems that NETMF 4.5 isn't that far away

Or shall we call it Llillum 4.5?

In any case this looks like a total re-write. What is worse, I wonder: buggy old code, or buggy fresh code?..

But as Long as Llillum is not Close to an drop in replacement it’s only usable to a limited number of Projects.

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Well, for Cerberus, that is now a pretty much second-class passenger on GHI train, Llillum looks exactly as a drop-in replacement. Having 10+ Cerberus boards, I’d love to see them back to the action.

1 Like

I don’t think it means anything. I found TargetFrameworkVersion=4.5 all over my standard .net framework (not-netmf) projects, and Zelig is a not-netmf project, so I am sure this just refers to the version of the full netmf stack that they are targeting. “TargetFrameworkVersion” is not a netmf-specific project tag.

As to what the porting of this code means in a bigger sense, I think we’re just seeing some of the basics of SPOT.Native being pulled into Llillum, which is a good thing. It’s progress.

@ mcalsyn - Yeah you’re probably right, that’s just number coincidence. However, I remember Llillum team stating that they want to see SPOT namespace eventually going away. But now they add them to Llillum. Maybe 4.4 was the last of NETMF?.. Maybe they are squeezing that stuff in to make Llilum as close to NETMF as possible, and NETMF [em]is already[/em] abandoned for good…

I think it is more about importing functionality into a system that is still in its infancy and not about breathing new life into the SPOT namespace. Any namespace change is just a search-and-replace away, so nothing is set in stone here. In fact, the whole thing may just be a temporary shim until something better comes along.

Read any one of my commit lists and you’ll see dead ends and broken dreams all along the way. It’s actually a desirable side effect of continuous integration.

Either way, Microsoft is working very seriously on this with a great interest. Instead of just assuming it is going to be a buggy code, let’s help them in making the best platform ever made for embedded devices. They are clearly open to any feedback.

Good times are ahead.

3 Likes