SD storage format issue

For DetectSDCard(), see the free ebook and look under SD, it explains this in details.
I am not sure about the issue you are having. Maybe something is wrong with your board. Did you connect anything to it? You can mail us your board and the SD cards and we can test them.

Hi Mike, you’re right something is wrong with the board, after I let the PCB designer here take a look at the board, there is short in the area of the the wiznet module, the module is soldered on, after we removed it the SD card is working.

We also noticed when the wiznet module was solder on, it heats up very hot when power is applied to the board.

For now, we are connecting a network module with serial communication to run network test, that work fine.

Since we did the soldering of the wiznet module onto the Rhino, that could probaly cause the short, we are to blame, however, we were able to built a prototype and ran all the tests smoothly.

Thanks,

Also my Rhino has some problems with the SD.

VolumeInfo.GetVolumes()[0].IsFormatted is always false.

Please note that the SD card I’m using (Kingston, 2Gb) works fine with same software on a Domino not connected to a power pack. :’(

Also connecting the Rhino to a power pack did not solve the problem.

I’m using the Rhino OEM Kit with the wiznet module.

Any suggestions?

The error I get is:

Exception System.NotSupportedException - CLR_E_NOT_SUPPORTED

Bye.

Stefano.

Can you post the line of code that you get the exception on? It’s not the IsFormatted line if you can see it’s always false.

Sorry, you are right.

The code is:

if (VolumeInfo.GetVolumes()[0].IsFormatted)
{
string rootDir = VolumeInfo.GetVolumes()[0].RootDirectory;
string[] files = Directory.GetFiles(rootDir);

}

If I comment the line:

if (VolumeInfo.GetVolumes()[0].IsFormatted)

I received the error on this line:

string[] files = Directory.GetFiles(rootDir);

Bye!

Ste.

Well I have the same problem

VolumeInfo.GetVolumes()[0].IsFormatted

is always false.

I use an external power supply for the Rinho.
The version are matching 4.1.3 and SDK4.1.
It’s impossible to obtain a true result with the rhino, but with the domino and the cobra no problem !

I have some questions :

Why have you inserted a transistor for the power supply of the SD connector ?
Why when the test of the format is executed a pulse of 100ms is send to the transistor (MCIPWR) ? In fact you break the power supply for 100ms… ? (On the cobra your have just a wire…) I have tried to connect directly the power supply (3.3V) but the problem is the same… :frowning:
Have you a suggestion ?

from NXP designs, it is recommended to have a power control over SD. Supposedly this is to improve performance but in fact it has caused some problems with certain cards. We are no longer using this on new designs.

Well,

I understand the problem, But I have 25 rhinos… and what can I do ?
Perhaps I can modify the rhino card with some components, It’s not a problem for me.
Can you help me ?

Of course we can help you :slight_smile: I was answering your question about the transistor.

Why not call GHI and talk to one of the guys here to get a quicker answer. Phone support is okay for commercial users. You can ask for me :slight_smile:

Hi Gus,

Thanks for your answer.
I’m working in electronic school, and it’s not a problem if we must modify our cards. My students can do some hardware modifications. We have all material here.
You can contact me by email.

We have try to do the same thing that we have on the Domino. So the RC are 2.2K and 0.1uF. But no success, it’s always the same thing. …

Question :
You use the SPI protocol for communicate with the micro SD or you use the 4 datas lines to communicate ?

They use data lines