Scary G120 (Cobra II eco) NetMF, System.Text.UTF8Encoding, System Exception

I had this once with my Cobra or Raptor, can not remember exactly. The root cause was, that I also had an USB Serial module connected to my PC (this one https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/287 ). Once I disconnected the USB Serial, everything went like normal.
I guess FEZConfig looks for some specific USB Serial chip, and tries to use the 1st it can find.

@ mhardy - FEZ Config is your best bet to update TinyBooter. You can contact us for an RMA and if we find the board is defective we can issue a refund or replacement. If you want to be sure, you can test on a second Cobra II before sending yours to us.

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - In my case there were nothing else connected.

@ mhardy - When there is a bootloader and a valid firmware on the board, you will se some ā€œGHIā€¦ā€ device in the device manager, no COM port.
If you start the board in loader mode (push the buttons for about 2 sec. during power up) it will show up as COM-Port again.

@ Architect - Was a wild guess. But @ John: how does FEZConfig select the right COM-Port, if there are more than one?

OK, I will place an order.

The RMA is not that important to me. Finding the root cause is.
When you get an RMA, can it be marked for failure analysis?

Reinhard,

Just tried what you saidā€¦Worked just as you saidā€¦thanks

@ mhardy - We look at all products we receive through RMA to try and determine the problem.

John -

Received new Cobra II (eco) this morning and have been running it since.

Works as expected, i.e. no lockup or spewing of crash reports. At a count of ~ 20,000,000 cycles now. On old board I was lucky to get to a count of ~30,000 or so.

Surprising, each loop takes about 1ms to completeā€¦

1 Like

thatā€™s great follow up, and good to hear youā€™re now progressing !