RS232 buffer overrun on Cerberus when network is open

Thanks Gus,

Next step is that I have to dig into the code and isolate the problem…

Will be continued.

Then I’m sure GHI took this as a non-maskable-interrupt and already has started the „search the bug routine" :wink:

@ freeck - on socket 2 of the Cerbuino Bee there were no problems with the serial port (in conjunction with the bluetooth module, NETMF 4.2) up to a baudrate of 460800. I must admit that I made no tests for reliability in conjunction with simultaneous processing of two or more data streams.
Perhaps you can post your code with the rn171 wifi-module in a separate thread to get some hints from the community.

We will revisit this and hopefully improve. I just do not have a quick answer, sorry.

I am afraid there are two separate issues.
The buffer overrun error, or whatever you call it , and problems communicating with the Wifly module via the serial port.

1: I plugged the Wifly on a XBEE-to-USB-serial adapter, and noticed that there are characters lost in the response of the Wifly. See image RN171ping.
The fifth line is totally corrupted…

2: then I attached the Wifly on Cerbuinobee, I also attached a serial monitor. See output on image RN171pingCerbuino…As you can see ;D , the serial monitor receives all the output of the “join” command sent to the Wifly, but the Cerbuino seems to loose a few characters (see response “Rec line: HCP” which should be “Rec line: DHCP”).

Help, help, I am out of options , perhaps somebody has a clou. Is the timing of the uart of the Wifly perhaps out of spec?

PS: btw I also tested a loopback communication connecting Tx and Rx of the Cerbuino , which show no anomalies.

@ freeck -
this seems not to be an issue of Cerbuino Bee or RN171.
with my Setup it works without data corruption.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/927

@ RoSchmi - thanks for your input.
The strange thing is that I can reproduce some of the anomalies using a xbee to usb adapter, so that indeed excludes the cerbuino and the driver…
Then I suspect the configuration settings of the 171… I will reload the firmware and see what happens…

Will be continued…

PS concerning the latest source code ; I will look into it. I was wondering whether it is possible to add/ include the XBEE socket as a gadgeteer socket…

Hi,
I would suggest to open a new thread for this issuse. It seems that it has not so much to do with the original question of this thread.

I agree, as soon I resolved this issues I will put it on another thread.

@ freeck - Be careful to RN171 module current draw !! 1 year ago I had lot of trouble becouse using WPA security and joining wifi the module become really unstable. I faced same issue on a Cobra II board. Using WEP security the problem disappeared.
I was using GHI gadgeteer module for XBee. I own two of this module: one module has no issue with both (RN171 and XBee), the other worked with XBee and NOT with wifly. I recently (partially) solved the issue after fw 4.00 was released by Microchip (now latest fw is 4.41, but I haven’t tested).

Here you can find firmwares:
ftp://rn.microchip.com/public/

You will require user and password you can find on the wifly manual.

I started a new thread on my issue
https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=16640

RS232 buffer overrun on Cerberus when network is open

Stephs issue, the buffer overruns still occur in SDK Version 2014 R3

Thanks RoSchmi for having tested so quickly !

It would have been great if this had been fixed, but I must admit it has been discovered late in the cycle.

A question to GHI : do you release intermediates patches or will we have to wait for R4 ?

I was on occupied by other project, but as USB host is available, I’ll try with a USB serial port, hoping it will leave enough ram for the rest of the application.

Not tried USB serial yet, but I had the possibility to try on a cobra eco : same problem :’(