Release of NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R5!

With the previous release of a complete and stable SDK, we finally had time to dig into the networking issues and couple other difficult issues! Thanks to the great efforts put forth by our engineers, this release improves networking stability while addressing other issues like adding new functionality to make working with bitmaps even easier. We also want to thank the customers who have helped us in testing the new firmware.

Speaking of networking, Microsoft is currently rewriting the way the networking stack works inside NETMF. This will make the stack even better, as explained here http://netmf.codeplex.com/discussions/569521

Our tests indicate that the networking stack is stable, even for commercial use. However, it is possible that some issues will pop up under stress, like failing to accept sockets. These issues will be in any NETMF device and port, GHI or non-GHI. This fix is in what Microsoft is working on today and we look forward to incorporate their improvements when they become available.

Finally with the recent NETMF release by Microsoft, they changed the way they hook into Visual Studio. As a result, we found it best to no longer install NETMF or Gadgeteer with our SDK. You will need to install them manually like before. The steps on our NETMF support page, .NET Micro Framework – GHI Electronics , will outline what to do. If you already have the latest versions installed, there is nothing for you to do. Until Microsoft releases a non-beta version of the NETMF SDK, we will continue to support 4.3 QFE1 with VS2012, however you may install their new beta release to use VS2013.

What is next for NETMF?
Until Microsoft’s next release, we will continue working with our customers and the community on fixing any hidden issues. There are also few minor issues on our task tracker that we will cover as well https://www.ghielectronics.com/tracker/list/open but beyond that, we would like to give our developers a break for all the hard work they have been doing for a very long time. So, if you are in the area, stop by and have a drink with them. If not, a +1 or maybe a reply to congratulate our developers on acheiving this massive milestone.

NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R5: http://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdk/24/netmf-and-gadgeteer-package-2014-r5

17 Likes

Great job! :clap:

1 Like

Good job guys! Congratulations

@ andre.m - I thought I was talking about the NETMF SDK, sorry for the confusion. It is Monday morning after all. :open_mouth:

Monday?! You need to go back home and get a long nap :slight_smile:

A time traveler from next Monday?

;D ;D ;D

@ Gus - Sure thing boss, see you tomorrow!

@ Architect - GHI did this amazing and awesome SDK and you are giving me grief over it being Monday or Wednesday or whatever day it is?!?!?! LOL

Go back to whatever Monday you came from and bring us back our old Gary!
Post a picture as a proof (only Gary knows how to do them properly!) ;D ;D ;D

3 Likes

@ Architect - LMAO, one of these days, just like @ Dave McLaughlin, I will meet up with you!

Excellent!!! I have been beating up the beta versions of this release for a while and would agree that networking has been vastly improved as the magic number of 2570 is now a thing of the distance past and further network improvements are squarely in Microsoft’s court. Thanks @ Gary and GHI for your work on these important issues.

Gadgeteer ROCKS ON!!!

1 Like

@ Duke Nukem - I would like to take credit for this but I am just a operational number cruncher at this point in my career, the real thanks goes to Gus and the rest of the engineering team! ;D

@ Gary I would say @ Gus and company rocked one then.

1 Like

@ Duke Nukem - for this particular one, was John and Dat who made this happen. I was the cheerleader, not a very good looking cheerleader :open_mouth:

1 Like

@ Gus - They do say that beauty is in the eye of beholder!

I recommend that GHI introduce a vision health plan for the company. Gary definitely needs glasses.

3 Likes

@ Mike - you guys are on the war path today, first I can’t post pictures and now i’m blind or something! ;D

Big thumbs up for added ability to handle bitmaps directly in RLP. I did a quick test and I can tell that I am getting 2x FPS increase in my application. :dance:

1 Like

Before using the new NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R5 I would like to know if Responder is fixed (Core)?

Sorry for asking, but I did not see anything in the fixed list about it.

@ willgeorge - The Http responder? I believe that is related to the core NETMF issues that we are waiting on Microsoft to fix.