RelayX1 Module Recall

What no lick test?

When I vacuum around the house my wife makes me wear a Conan the Barbarian outfit, and she told me that most guys like to wear costumes like that when they vacuum so I’m sure Aron just forgot his at home.

Seriously dudes this is a big league class move to recall and replace these modules and yet another example of why Gadgeteer dudes love GHI.

4 Likes

@ devhammer - We do what we have to in this economy.

@ Simon from Vilnius - I might be fired and sued if I made Aron do that…lol

You just have to wait until tomorrow when it’s “ninja turtle friday” ;D

2 Likes

@ Simon from Vilnius - We had one researcher who used to scare us a little as no case ever made it into his house (everything from appliances on down), he just couldn’t help playing with everything. Good thing he didn’t have any kids or not really surprisingly a wife. He was a brilliant physicist however, but visiting his home was an exercise in situational awareness as you didn’t want to get to close to anything.

@ Simon from Vilnius, @ Duke Nukem - This thread is suddenly becoming far too TMI-filled for my [edit]tastes[/edit] PREFERENCES!

???

EDIT: TMI == Too Much Information (lest anyone else be confused by my meaning).

It looks like there will be no photocoupler added to this module (e. g. Relay ISOx16 module did have those on-board) :frowning:

Did anyone ever wonder why there aren’t more ladies in these forums? :wink:

Phew! I had to double check the dictionary.

@ Architect - Sigh. Didn’t even notice my own rather unfortunate wording. Purely unintentional, I assure you.

@ devhammer - Don’t worry. I thought it was funny. ;D

1 Like

The previous Relay X1 module revisions did not have a photocoupler on them. A photocoupler would be necessary to isolate a signal. The relay itself is a high voltage switch meant to isolate. There seems to be an engineering debate on using photocouplers in conjunction with relays. What are your feelings regarding the matter?

@ Aron - Adding a photocoupler is an easy and cheap way to increase safety. Extra isolation is always appreciated when we are talking about products designed for prototyping. Besides, I have observed photocouplers being used with relays in many commercial designs.

A photocoupler makes sense if relay’s switching voltage is >5V (12V, for example). In such cases, if the switching transistor fails, it is possible to get full 12V into a MCU pin — we all know how that’s gonna end.

For this particular module, I don’t think photocoupler is a must. Relay is switched using 5V, so it is not very likely that MCU will be damaged if transistor fails.

1 Like

@ iamin - it is not necessary but adds another level of protection.

1 Like

@ Gus - I did not say it is necessary. I said it would be a nice touch to have it. At small price you add, as you say, another level of protection, hence I think it is worth it.

It reminds me of Murphy’s law: If anything can’t go wrong, it will anyway :smiley:

We have ordered the boards for the new relay and they should be ready in the near future.

Aren’t you manufacturing PCB boards yourself?

@ iamin - We assemble the boards, but we order the raw PCBs themselves from other sources.

do the 16 Relay board qualify for the recall ?