Main Site Documentation

RelayIso16 freezes on sockets 5 & 6 on Fez Cerberus

Hi,

I have the Fez Cerberus and the RelayIso16 board. The template designer in Visual Studio shows that I can only connect it to sockets 5 or 6, but the first time I open the relays it doesn’t open the correct relays and also it hangs.

• Is this a known issue?

• Is there a way around this?

• Can I connect to another port and not use the designer for the relay?

Any help you can provide with be appreciated as it will get me unblocked.

Cheers!

Looks like this was previously reported on another thread: http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=10320&page=1

However, I still don’t have a working relay. Will post my information on the original thread.

I do not quite understand the solution here. I have tried to edit the GadgeteerHardware.xml file which did open up other ports but didn’t work for me. Still heard the clac and then froze.

Original GadgeteerHardware.xml file

<Sockets>
        <!-- This example socket is compatible with socket type S, and it has electrical connections to pins 3,4,5,7,8,9, with 7,8,9 being shareable (SPI bus) -->
        <Socket Left="70" Top="49" Orientation="180" ConstructorOrder="1" TypesLabel="Y">
          <Types>
            <Type>S</Type>
          </Types>
          <Pins>
            <Pin Shared="false">3</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="false">4</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="false">5</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="true">7</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="true">8</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="true">9</Pin>
          </Pins>
        </Socket>
      </Sockets>

Updated GadgeteerHardware.xml file

<Sockets>
        <!-- This example socket is compatible with socket type S, and it has electrical connections to pins 3,4,5,7,8,9, with 7,8,9 being shareable (SPI bus) -->
        <Socket Left="70" Top="49" Orientation="180" ConstructorOrder="1" TypesLabel="Y">
          <Types>
            <Type>Y</Type>
          </Types>
          <Pins>
            <Pin Shared="false">3</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="false">4</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="false">5</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="true">7</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="true">8</Pin>
            <Pin Shared="true">9</Pin>
          </Pins>
        </Socket>
      </Sockets>

Any help in getting this working and resolved will be greatly appreciated.

Did you exit out of Visual Studio, change the xml file, get back into Visual Studio, load your project, then switch your project where the RelayISOx16 is connected to a pure Y port(skip S ports), deploy your code, put the RelayISOx16 on the new port, make sure you’ve got 12V going to the RelayISOx16 and then start it back up?

I had problems earlier in the week when I had a flash board on my hydra port 3 and the RelayISOx16 on port 4. I could get one or the other to work. After I changed the xml file, I kept my flash on port 3 and moved my RelayISOx16 to port 7 and everything on that end is working like a dream.

@ NXTwoThou

I missed the part about connecting to a pure Y port (skip S ports) so I was still connected to port 5. I thought that the xml fix addressed that too. I will move to port 7 tonight and respond to the thread on whether that worked.

Cheers!

Hope that’s it, that’s what got me going with the Hydra.

@ NXTwoThou - thanks for the assistance, moving to a pure Y port resolved the issue.

The only other issue that I know have is that the method DisableAllRelays() does not seem to do anything. I have to close the relays individually by DisableRelay(). I was hoping to close all the relays that I had opened with the one call but for now I will just remember which ones I opened and close them individually.

Cheers!

The issue with the Y vs S type socket has been reported and corrected for the next release.

The issue with DisableAllRelays() was also corrected.