Relay ISOx16 Module Wiring Issue

Hi , I have a Relay ISOx16 Module and I don’t have much knoledg of electrical circuits ,
but I want to use It ,
I have attached a pictue which shows my imagination of how I should wire the module , and I have these questions :

1- How should a 220 VAC power apply to the relay ? is this right to plug a power plug to power outlet and put the other side of the wire to k2 on the relay board as I have painted It on the picture ?

and then wire out the k1 and paste it to a lamp ? as I have painted it on the picture ?

so k1 will be the power output and k2 will be the power input !

and in my code how should I turn on and off the lamp ?

should I enable or disable both k1 and k2 ? Or should I enable or disable only one of them ? if yes which one ?

2- My second question is about the part which beside It is written +12v and GND , I have painted an arrow beside It , what is that for ?

To summerize what I want to do and know :

• I want to simply wire power plug to the board so I can apply 220 VAC Power to the board
  • I want to simply wire lamp to the board so I can turn It on or off

I will really appricieate any body who guids me and help me through this .

First point:

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/94/relay-isox16-module

READ THE WARNING. 220VAC power is dangerous, please don’t use it unless you know what you’re doing. And also, depending on where you’re located, you may find that legalities of what you’re doing mean you need it done professionally. (my personal view, having live 220VAC on the top surface of the relays like this is not a good idea, make sure it’s properly housed away from fingers!)

Now, onto wiring. Each relay has 3 terminals. One is the Common, one is the normally open (NO) contact, and one is the normally closed (NC) contact.

So in your scenario, you want to connect the relay as a switch would be, on one of the wires from the light. So your active wire goes into the relay common point, then you want to choose NO or NC, connect one side of the light to that, then the other side goes to the neutral on your plug.

------ active wire ------- relay common ~~~~~ relay NO ------ light
------ neutral wire -------------------------------------------------------- light

Then, in code you toggle the relay, the section ~~~~~~ will become active, light goes on.

My first suggestion is use low voltage DC to power a bulb or LED or something so you can understand everything.

Image attached is from the catalog picture. The relay terminals are NO, NC, and COMMON from left to right. You can see the image kind of makes sense when you know they’re NO, NC, Common, and the little bent bit is the switch.

As far as the 12v connection, that is used to energise the relays, without it they won’t switch.

There’s many discussion threads here on this relay board. Make sure you search them out and see the peculiarities with this device.

1 Like

@ Brett, I think the order is:

NO, COMMON, NC

1 Like

@ Brett -
thx a lot , it was a very good answear I could turn on and off a bulb the way you explained but the order of terminals you mentioned were wrong , I tested Architect’s terminal orders and I could make It :slight_smile:

@ Architect -

thx a lot , for terminal orders you said ! they solved my problem either :slight_smile:

I added an image from the circuit so other people who have the same issue might find It usefull

And maybe you’re right, BUT the normal image of a switch would imply NO, NC, COMMON. Of course it is hard to show that detail in silkscreen (I’d have put the letters NO and NC !)

The idea is that when you turn on the relay both switches change their state and the picture should be that if NO and NC change places. That implies that middle contact is Common.

I really meant that in a circuit diagram of a double-pole “switch” that is mechanically what the relay does, you’d be able to see the poles and the bend in the common that switches poles…