Ready for $500 coupon...to get a free FEZ Cobra?

Ok guys, we have extended the due date. Hope this will give more time to more users to join in.

Hi,
is it okay that the source code is closed source and only some parts are presented on (link removed)?
We’d like to sell our cool product and don’t want the development to be open source.
Do we still have a chance to submit and possibly win? :confused:
Holger

The contest idea to show other what can be done with FEZ and how it was done…for that source code examples are needed.

With that said, you can still add your project with no source code and if we see your project being very informative and gets users what they need then you may win the contest even if you do not publish your source code.

I sure hope that isn’t the norm though. If source code isn’t required, someone could very easily cheat and take a project done with their old Arduino, and stick a FEZ in it’s place for a photo op. Essentially, they would have made a “project” with the only work being the photos and text on the wiki.

Personally, I think source should be required. I think part of this contest is about sharing source and showing off how you did your project. Part of the fun is seeing other people code and, who knows, maybe you will see a really clean and clever way of doing something. As I said in my first paragraph, the source code also provides a great way to make sure that someone actually put work into their project. What good is a UAV with a FEZ sticking out of when the FEZ isn’t actually doing anything but being a pretty face? Not much.

The other side of it is that newbies could use submitted code to learn of of. Even though I’m not a newbie (to OO programming, that is), there are still something things that C# does that I am still trying to wrap my head around (compound operator overloading, for one :wink: ). Without source, nobody will be able to learn off what you have written. Part of the reason I am looking forward to the contest is getting to see how other people are working their code. Without source, the only thing to look at is text and maybe some pictures.

Besides, without full source, what is the point of posting your project on microframworkprojects.com?

Just my two cents. :wink:

How can you make a project that does something cool on FEZ but cheat and use Arduino? You really can’t. What FEZ offers is not available on any device out there including Arduino…we are talking about an awesome project to win the contest, not blinking LEDs. And what about the video :slight_smile:

My point was, you can make a project that does something awesome but then if you have an assembly or piece of code that you do not want to share. If that is the case, then you can make a project/tutorial and show how everything is done but then you can keep some piece of code out of the project… assuming the test of the project is useful without the missing piece.

Honestly, it will be very difficult to make a project so cool to the point it will win the contest without including the code, since the source code is a big part of it…but if someone think they can do it then they can try.

"How can you make a project that does something cool on FEZ but cheat and use Arduino? You really can’t. What FEZ offers is not available on any device out there including Arduino…we are talking about an awesome project to win the contest, not blinking LEDs. And what about the video "

What I was trying to say is that someone could reuse an Arduino project, and just put the FEZ in it’s place for a photo op.

Speaking of photos, what’s the best way to put photos on the wiki? Right now, I just have them linked to my website, although there must be a way of hotlinking them or something, so that they are inline with the rest of the document.

http://www.tinyclr.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Upload

Ah! I see some competition has arrived in the form of a robot with a name suggesting that it is a tasty potato based food item!

Matt,

Do you have link where you got your chassis kit from? I built one for a friend, but I think he had a different one than yours.

The new home for our wiki and the contest at (link removed)

New wiki layout looks slick!

You guys are not the only ones planning on joining the contest. I will join too.
Love this sort of contest! Good work GHI!

Not sure yet what I’m about to build, but I guess I will make something usefull.
What’s the point of a awesome looking project if no one can use it? :slight_smile:

Good luck to all of you and again thanks to GHI for the contest and the awesome product! :smiley:

I’ll try to enter into the contest too.
I should have the parts this week. By the way it could be a good idea to have one distributor with everything (i’m talking about europe :wink: )!!! I had to use 3!!! which means huge shipping cost but anyway. By the way if you want a good laugh I contacted on of them because they distribute the fez domino and asked for others part giving them your web site because I know that some part are arduino shield (ethernet) or inex… but the answer was: We can’t give you a price because we couldn’t find it …!!! I agree not easy to work with an hangover!

I have an idea well WE have one as i will be not alone… for this contest but no way to meet the deadline then I’ll do something else for the contest, alone, in order to learn. I’m really a Bozo with this kind of techno. But I’ll join!

I which good luck to everyone!B)

Maybe if you complain to our resellers they will stock more of our devices :wink:

looking forward to see your inventions