Raspberry Pi 2 announced: Will run Windows 10

@ devhammer - Element 14 or RS Components

Element 14 is out of stock

@ Architect - We used RS Components for ours.

@ Gary - Wondering if Adafruit was planning on stocking them, as their site is currently down. :slight_smile:

@ devhammer - In the Pi post, I only saw the two sites.

@ devhammer - 18k+ on stock … but in UK …

@ PiWi - Was just looking at their site. A bit more expensive there ($37 vs. $35), and it’s not clear before checking out how much shipping would cost.

No urgency, so perhaps I’ll wait. I’ve got more than enough Gadgeteer stuff to keep me busy anyway. :slight_smile:

In fact, I had a new and somewhat ambitious idea last night. Not sure if I have the time and resources to pull it off, but it would definitely be a fun one.

Watterott Germany has 384 in Stock.

Please do tell

Oh, I love new toys …

@ Gary - I have to finish the current project I’m working on before I leap into the next. But let’s just say that I might need some help with cutting acrylic. :slight_smile:

@ devhammer - Anything is possible for the right amount of cash. :whistle:

Why Windows 10 on the Pi 2 (I’m calling it the Raspberry Tao now BTW).

Eben Upton gives his spin.

[quote]“What we’re talking about here is Windows 10 for IoT [Internet of Things]; there hasn’t been a statement about capabilities,” Upton explains. “We’re not necessarily talking about PowerPoint or the Windows desktop. Microsoft will make a statement on what exact capabilities they plan to bring to the device fairly soon.”

Cross-device compatibility will be there thanks to Microsoft’s “Universal App” strategy, based on the Windows Runtime platform (once known as Metro. Although the desktop might not be available, the Windows build will support visual applications. “It is a headed device, HDMI primarily at the moment but then LCD panels in due course.”[/quote]

Sounds a lot like the NETMF way of doing things.

I suspect that if I were planning to run .NET code on Pi/Pi2, I’d still choose Mono. I think this does definitely underscore the need to get native code speed from NETMF, though.

@ devhammer - Newark/Element 14, but won’t be in stock until 2/16.

This is something I’m very enthusiastic about.

We can’t comment on what version of Windows (although it will be maker-friendly) or what the full capabilities are. It will run UAP apps.

Why Raspberry Pi? It’s one of a number of targets. It’s an inexpensive maker board that is extremely popular. Why not? :slight_smile:

What about NETMF?

I met with Colin and folks last week while on campus. There are both short term and long term things coming in NETMF. I’m happy and enthusiastic about both. We need to work to make NETMF work even better on even smaller, lower-power, devices. That’s where NETMF will really shine best. It all starts with cleaning up the current code-base and making it easier to compile. (More on that soon)

You’ll hear a lot about Windows on Devices because it enjoys the Windows marketing muscle. Don’t assume that means NETMF is any less important to our IoT strategy.

Aside: Next time someone tells you Windows is too huge and bloated, remind them in runs on the Raspberry Pi :wink:

Pete

5 Likes

That is a good news. I hope the cleaning process will make it possible to upgrade “old” GHI USBizi devices to newer versions of NETMF.

:clap:

3 Likes

That would be fantastic, but if they’re using CMSIS, then it won’t be possible (or at least, won’t be easy). USBizi wasn’t Cortex-M, so there was no CMSIS for it.

I have said it before, and I’ll say it again, NETMF clearly needs to focus on the very small, because at $35, there is no way to compete with a Pi running either Windows or Linux. That was true with the Pi 1, and is even more true with a Pi 2. USB, HDMI, composite video, LCD, Ethernet, USB, Cheap Wi-Fi, all for $35.

1 Like

Hey Pete, thanks for relaying this info.

Can you provide any details about what sort of UAP apps will work here?

With Win8.1/WP8 universal apps, obviously they are UI based programs. I thought I saw another article that these apps on IoT will be UI-less. If accurate, does that mean only console apps?

Also, what type of programming interfaces are being planned? With Edison and the like I thought it’s currently (“currently” being the operative word) only Win32 based development. Will there be .NET libraries akin to NETMF for this platform?

I understand if there details which are not finalized and/or available for general release.

Thanks

i’m confused as now I see two different boards one with 800Mhz and one with 900Mhz stating the same CPU model, who is wrong of the two:

this one shows 900Mhz

and this one shows 800Mhz:
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/138e/0900766b8138e68d.pdf

cheers,
jay