Raspberry Pi 2 announced: Will run Windows 10

The 900mhz ARM Cortex A7 1GB Raspberry Pi 2 has been announced.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Not only is this compatible with the previous Raspberry Pi offerings, but it will also run a free version of Windows 10 for makers.

From the page:

"WINDOWS 10

For the last six months we’ve been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

Visit WindowsOnDevices.com today to join the Windows Developer Program for IoT and receive updates as they become available."

Our post:

You may be interested in knowing that we’re also working with Gus and Gary here on some related things which will be of interest to most people here. The proposal I put into the IoT team last year, after discussion with Gary and Gus, was accepted and we’re now moving forward on it. More on that as it develops over this calendar year. Thanks again to GHI for being a great partner not only for NETMF and Gadgeteer, but also for Windows.

Pete

11 Likes

Wow :open_mouth:

Thank you for your order

Your RS reference number is 127958383 ::slight_smile:

3 Likes

I ordered four of them right at 4am local time. We have a few on campus, but just a few, and they’re owned by people doing actual work on the wee beasties. :slight_smile:

Pete

Seems they sold out at Farnell and RS with an hour…

Not surprised. That’s part of the reason I stayed up.

The foundation is supposed to have 100k of these immediately available, however. I don’t expect the massive waits we had with the original Pi.

Pete

@ Pete Brown - How long do you think it will be before a 10 image is available?

Cool…!!!

@ Pete Brown

You plan to support other Arm Boards like Cubieboard, BeagleBone, Odroid etc?

It’s part of the Windows 10 code base. I’d expect to see it available in a similar timeframe or slightly behind the mainstream Windows 10 releases. We haven’t officially announced availability.

Follow-up: When will Windows 10 be available?

Beyond “later this year”, I can’t say. :slight_smile:

Pete

Most anything is possible, but I’m not going to speculate.

Stay tuned throughout the run-up to //build as we announce more about Windows 10.

Pete

Oh my god… This is happening…

You RS order reference for Stocked Range is 127961774

Dispatch date is Monday 2nd Feb 2015

If I understand this correctly, NETMF should focus on REALLY small devices, and the Gadgeteer form factor is kind of too bulky?

And whats the hype about, as the connectivity to the RPi sucks bigtime. :think:

While waiting for Windows 10, I plan to set up http://www.rasplex.com/ on it and work on a Gadgeteer remote control for it. (Not researched this yet but it’ll probably be fun)

@ Pete Brown - Interesting…didn’t see that one coming, but it makes sense if you think about it.

Just wondering how long it’ll be before the first “NETMF is dead” post from either an ill-informed tech pundit or panicked developer.

That said, I really hope that Microsoft is working on clear messaging in terms of where Windows 10 for devices fits, and where NETMF fits. Good, clear communication will go a long way to forestall potential complaints ahead of time. :slight_smile:

@ Pete Brown - Hey Pete. Which USB Wifi adapters will be supported on this version of Windows 10 for this Raspberry Pi 2? I’m sure drivers have to be compiled just for this…

Also, they say this Raspberry Pi 2 is backwards compatible with the old, so what about Windows On Devices? Will that work on the old Raspberry Pi, just slower?

How fast does this thing boot?

Looking forward to //BUILD… I’ll be there.

-Valkyrie-MT

1 Like

NETMF [em]may [/em]be pushed to smaller devices, but the code will live! That’s what excites me. Carefully crafted NETMF programs will port to Windows 10 in a matter of days, and, actually, with some hardware abstraction, could continue to run on both platforms. This is not a even a dream. I write cross-platform code already, because testing it is sooo much easier on a big PC. Once it’s working, I move it to production system, running on G400.

Gadgeteer would survive such a transition easily, too, and without major changes at the frontend.

A little bit more info:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheNewRaspberryPi2WillRunWindows10AndRunUniversalApps.aspx

Don’t know what I will use this for yet, but…ordered!

@ munderhill - Where did you order? From an earlier post I assumed these were sold out?