[Question] Fez Panda II

Before I start with my question I would like to compliment GHI for the information they provide on .NET MF development - the best site I’ve seen so far.

My question. This video GHI Electronics runs .NET Micro Framework v4.0 on ChipworkX module - YouTube shows dual debugging. Debugging from MS Visual Studio and debugging through JTAG.

What is the tool suite you are using in the video to debug the .NET MF code over JTAG?
If I want to debug the .NET MF code (to see the code that is executed when a C# call is made) do I need to build an image and flash it to the target?
If there is an existing post that covers this could you please refer me to it?

Thanks,
Paul

Welcome :slight_smile:

The Panda II is locked and not debugable over JTAG. You will have to follow the procedure, listed somewhere on the forum, cant remember where, to completely wipe your Panda. This is irrecoverable, you will loose all premium features and you can never put the GHI firmware back on the Panda.

Then you must get the porting kit(http://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/91594) and compile the code for the LPC28XX, I think, using your ARM development tools of preference. GHI uses some of the expensive tool sets from ARM. Then you can debug via your tool set. You can look at Eclipse with Codesourcery if you don’t have a toolset. It’s free but a pain to set up.

There is a porting guide that will help you compile the code. See http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/FEZ/Beginners%20Guide%20to%20Porting%20NETMF.pdf

You can use Rowley cross works or keil tools.

If you are after the porting kit then you need to stick to one of the OSHW boards.

Thanks for the good words and welcome to the community.

Hi Gus,

I read your excellent PDF, cool work & I look forward to creating my own netmf board,

here’s a bit of nit-picking for your coffee break :slight_smile:

“GHI strongly believed and NETMF and wanted to master the porting kit, so we selected to do it he hard way.”

should be

“GHI strongly believed in NETMF and wanted to master the porting kit, so we selected to do it the hard way.”

“GHI continues to adds exclusive features”

should be

“GHI continues to add exclusive features”

“The same engineers that invented these devices are monitoring the forums, emails and phone to provide superior support”

should be

“The same engineers that invented these devices are monitoring the forums, emails and phones to provide superior support”

[quote]“The same engineers that invented these devices are monitoring the forums, emails and phone to provide superior support”

should be

“The same engineers that invented these devices are monitoring the forums, emails and phones to provide superior support”[/quote]

Not if there was only one phone involved. You could also accurately say, “the forum, email, and phone…” If we are nit-picking. :slight_smile:

That’s true, it’s just that for some reason this is how I picture Gus in my head: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iyzD2vu4CiA/TzLkjQin8xI/AAAAAAAAACM/4RJ4iUbomW8/s1600/cell-phone-stress-300x199.jpg

@ harleydk - lol

@ harleydk - thanks