QUESTION: Anyone using Hydra with a PC with a processor speed of 3.0GHZ or more?

I always liked the look of the old Cray XMP and similar. I still want one as furniture, but pretty sure that wouldn’t pass the wife test.

Pete

Pete,

I had a similar problem a few days ago when I installed the new firmware. I tried with a different USB cable and it worked fine. I’d used the other cable many times before but for some reason at that time it wouldn’t detect the board. You might try a different cable and/or USB socket.

Ian

Thanks Ian

Just tried with a different USB cable and port. I went into device manager and manually removed the old entry for the hydra. Plugged in the hydra again, and it was detected in control panel as FEZ Hydra. In MF Deploy, it was detected on USB as FEZ Hydra_Gadgeteer.

However, MFDeploy still can’t ping it.

My spider works fine on this machine.

Pete

PS the whole “try a different port” thing is usually just to force Windows to redetect something. Rather than do that, go into control panel, devices and hardware, device manager, and manually uninstall the old entry. Then either scan for changes, or unplug and replug your USB device. That works for just about everything.

I am seeing the same problem as Pete, which I think is good news.

I have been testing with multiple machines, both real and virtual.

On a Lenovo 3.0GHZ machine I see the identical problem as Pete. The device looks fine, but it can not be access from MFDeploy or VS.

On a 3.4GHZ IMac virtual machine I see a different problem, where the device is initially recognized, when first attached to the virtual machine, but does not properly restart after a reset.

@ Pete - Yea, I understand. I have 3 or 4 USB cables plugged in and running to my desktop at all times, so it’s easier to just grab another an go. I didn’t think much of it at the time and didn’t bother trying to reproduce it again.

@ Mike - FWIW, my computer is Core2 Quad (2.8 or 2.6) Mhz. Definitely not 3.0.

Switch to Panda it is faster.

Lol :smiley:

:-[ You know when you’ve been playing with “little” hardware to long when…

@ Pete

Are you still having the issue? Has someone from GHI contacted you?

@ Mike

?

I responded to this thread to see if I was having the same issue as you. Yep, I am :slight_smile:

No one has contacted me yet, but that’s fine, as I cracked out the hydra only for this experiment. Since it seems to be a larger problem, I’ll set it aside until I hear of a solution.

Are you asking because you have a solution?

Pete

@ Pete

I do not have a solution.

I’m also having similar issues with my hydra. Very close to what Pete describes. I’ll attempt to reproduce it and respond with details. I was able to erase it and load the TinyBooter, but MFDeploy hangs when loading the remaining files. This on a Dell XPS 435T, 2 Intel I7 2.66 Ghtz procs, 12Gb RAM, Win7 Pro 64bit.

Through any of the attempts to ping in MFDeploy, are you using a hub or direct connection to the computer? Also just a reminder to verify that MFDeploy is not connected while trying to deploy using VS. While in a connected state on MFDeploy, it locks out VS.

@ Aron - I’m using a powered hub. Also, see this thread [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/21/5605[/url]

Everything is good through the TinyBooter Updater. MFDeploy recognizes the Hydra, but the ping does not return until I hit the reset button on the board (not sure if that is expected behavior or not). Then I try to deploy the ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH files. I can get CONFIG to go after hitting the reset button again, but the FLASH file hangs with the progress bar at about 5%. At this point MFDeploy is unresponsive and I have to kill it with task manager and start over.

My USB hub is a fair distance from the PC, maybe 3-4 feet. I’ve tried a fresh cable from the hub to the DP module. I will try a direct connect to the PC (and another slower 32 bit Win7 laptop).

@ Aron

For me, I use a powered hub, just like I do for all my other NETMF projects. One of the tests was with the same hub and cable used with the Spider.

Pete

I just received my Hydra. I’m seeing the same problems as well. It would not deploy from VS, so I followed the update process.

Flashing the tinybooter (also with the short on P3) worked fine. Result:

[italic]Sent file & Memory area content (address: 0x8400, size: 59868 bytes) match exactly !
GENERIC::SendFile GHI_OSH_BOOTSTRAP.bin at address 0x0
-I- File size : 0x25E8 byte(s)
-I- Writing: 0x18C0 bytes at 0x0 (buffer addr : 0x302CD8)
-I- 0x18C0 bytes written by applet
-I- Writing: 0xD28 bytes at 0x18C0 (buffer addr : 0x302CD8)
-I- 0xD28 bytes written by applet
-I---------------------------------
-I- Script Completed -
-I- Please Reset the Device -
-I---------------------------------[/italic]

Going to MFDeploy (4.1) it always sees the Hydra USB device, but I can never deploy. I’ve tried all sorts of reset combinations.

If I hit “Deploy” for the flash files in MFDeploy, it does nothing, but if I then hit the reset I get a popup … sometimes that it’s erasing a sector, sometimes that it’s flashing, but it always gets immediately stuck.

PC is a Sandy Bridge i7-2320 Quad core laptop, 16Gb memory.

Phil

Hi,

I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz from Dell. I have a similar problem. The ping from the mfdeploy tool work randomly with my Hydra Board. Most of the time I have a message like “No device connected”.

I have no problem at all on my old AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz.

The system run on Windows 7 64 bits Ultimate.

I guess Hydra is playing games with us. We have tried it on over 10 PCs including 3Ghz+ and it just want to work fine on every PC we have! We are willing to buy another PC just to find this problem but how do we know what PC to order?!

I’m not at home right now but I guess I have USB 3.0 on my new Phenom Processor based PC. For sure, my old PC, who work fine with Hydra only have USB 2.0

On the two PC the drivers has installed successfully. Also, I remember something about the ping who fail most of the time. When I get a response, it doesn’t tell me “Ping… TinyCLR” but something else similar. Something like “Ping… TinySomething”

Strange Behavior.

Gus:

I believe all the PCs that have seen this problem have been Win 7 64 Bit. But this might be because it is the logical OS for a 3.0GHZ machine.