PS3 controller using USB Host

I have now posted the source code. Enjoy :slight_smile:

Very nice, thanks for sharing

Bummer. I was hoping to use a serial bluetooth module to talk to a PS3 controller, didn’t know that it’s HID… :frowning:

My bot’s body is 20mm by 60mm. I barely have space for a USB100(plus connectors/lipo charger/psu/bluetooth module), will never fit a host USB connector, and i probably cant sacrifice the weight either… :frowning:

But thanks for the info! i’ve been looking around the last few days for PS3 bluetooth info… :slight_smile:

This is sweet. Buying one of those Bluetooth mini USB Dongles on e-bay now…

Nice job! Any chance you’ll be working on an XBox controller version next? The PS3 controller is just too small for me to hold onto confidently. I’m in the process of building a custom controller for my multicopter but you just made me re-think my plan… Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated.
#ianlee74
I do not know. The problem is that the XBOX 360 Controller uses 2.4 GHz protocol, so you need a adapter for it to work: Xbox 360 controller - Wikipedia
But if I got the time, and money, I might look into it :slight_smile:

On the xbox controller… the wired version is straightforward enough to hook up. THere is an old code example somewhere around here. I have yet to see a good implementation on a uC a wireless one, though. You think somebody would have hacked it by now. Also, I thought the chatpad would make a great mini keyboard. MS has yet to release an XNA driver for that, even after lots of whining from the community. Not sure they ever will open it up… odd, considering what they’ve done with the Kinect.

Yeah, the software for the wired version have been around for some time: GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software
Exactly, it would be so nice, if all the big companies would open source there products :slight_smile: Just as non-commercial of course :b
Sony have also made a keybord for the PS3: PlayStation 3 accessories - Wikipedia do not think I would ever look into i though.

I’ll have to look into that. The wired version would actually work better for my need anyway. I’ll have to crack open an XBox controller and see how much empty space is in there. If I could squeeze in a small screen on the controller then I could hang an external box with a FEZ and transmitter in it from my neck/belt and really reduce the size/weight of the R/C transmitter. Hmmm…

I have actually though the same thing with the PS3 Controller, before I got it working with bluetooth :slight_smile:

I just uploaded a short video, showing the bluetooth functionality in action: GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software - enjoy :wink:

Is that Enya at the end? Nice job!

Nice :slight_smile:

ransomhall: Glad you like it. And yes, it is Enya with Caribbean Blue

Very nice!

If some of you already downloaded the code, I just found a minor bug with caused latency. I have decided not to upload it as a new version, but just update the file.

I got everything working. It was actually a stupid mistake. The reason why it did not sent out the accelerometer, gyro values etc. Was because the bluetooth dongle was only version 2.0, and you needed 2.0+EDR for it to work :slight_smile: So now everything is working. I will update the wiki straight away!
For now this dongle is confirmed to work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220704691620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1477wt_1189
Sorry for such a noob mistake :smiley:

I have now updated the wiki. I will record a new video in the future, showing off the gyro and accelerometer functionality :slight_smile:

nice! I didn’t know there is a gyro!

There is a 3-axis accelerometer and a single axis gyro :slight_smile: