Prototype to Production for COMM

I am working on a small project to test the process from prototype to production.

The project is as simple as it gets.

I have a current sensor reading and my goal is to send that out via some sort of communication at the time of installation.

This seems like a common use case for many embedded systems and I wanted to flush it out.

We would like to have a few scenarios 802.11, Cellular, or Modem.

Im trying to figure out how to do this without having to spin new boards for each com type. My first thought is that USB is really the right technology to make the COM aspect plug-able after the hardware is built. The cost of USB 802.11 adapters are much less than the embedded alternatives and its a standard interface.

Wanted to get peoples opinions here on how they might approach this, and if USB is something we should be thinking about as a standard bus for communication after hardware is built.

Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marty

Add a gadgeteer socket and then you can plug in the module you need maybe?

Fair enough.

So I have this Spider which is overkill for what I need.

Is my best approach to find the smallest board to meet my needs or does your staff spin boards based on the smallest common denominator of what is needed based on the design.

If the answer is both, how much do you all charge for these types of services for labor and production (assuming its a small board)?

Thanks Gus!

You guys rule.

This has some info on custom designs http://www.ghielectronics.com/support/consulting