Problem after Firmware Update- FEZ Panda 2

Greetings,

I recently did a firmware update on my FezPanda 2 through tera term as per the instructions on http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Firmware_Update_USBizi

The process completed but afterwards when i connect my Fez to the PC it only picks up as a GHI Bootloader Interface in device manager and not as a USBizi chipset.

As a result i can no longer load my code on to the board, nor can i access it via MFDeploy.

Please advise
Regards

Did you tried it again?
What file did you used?

This problem seems to pop up almost daily. I ran into it several weeks ago when I added 3 more Panda II’s to my ‘zoo’.

Tera term would not work on my windows 7 rig. The xmodem box would appear and then disappear but it did not upgrade the Panda and left it unusable.

Savvkin suggested I try FEZpanel and it worked perfectly and made them usable again. The only thing that might trip you up is that FEZpanel wants the sdk directory, NOT the firmware directory.

There is another utility called ‘one click’ that is also reported to work with win7 but I have not tried it. I don’t understand why these are not mentioned in the GHI documentation as both are produced freely by FEZ community members.

The other issue that caused a problem was on a new win7 quad laptop I just purchased. I had to repeatedly switch usb ports as the panda would work and then not be recognized on the next reboot. Installing service pack 1 fixed that issue.

We are aware of problems with teraterm version other than the one we have on our website. The one we have online works perfectly on all machines we have and thousands of FEZ users. I am not sure why not your machine! Are you sure you downloaded and installed teraterm right from GHI website?

“We are aware of problems with teraterm version other than the one we have on our website. The one we have online works perfectly on all machines we have and thousands of FEZ users. I am not sure why not your machine! Are you sure you downloaded and installed teraterm right from GHI website?”

I am quite sure it would not work on either machine and it was the version from your website. It did and does work on my Vista machines.

I used TerraTerm (downloaded from GHI) on my Win7 Ultimate x64 machine and haven’t had any problems. The only problem I have is that after deploying I have to restart VisualStudio before I can deploy again…

The problem I had with TerraTerm was when upgrading firmware if you forget to select the 1K box the transfer box sticks at the start. I had to read a different guide before I remembered that the 1K box had to be selected at the bottom of the open file dialog.

As I mentioned, it works fine on Vista but not on my computers with win7 home premium installed. 1K was always selected.

FEZpanel is also a much easier process.

I can confirm that teraterm IS NOT WORKING on my Windows 7 32bit and Panda II.
I tried both versions, old one from GHI site and new one from origin.

On my Win 7 32 bit it is working. Both Panda I and II.
Must be some interference through other software on some people’s machines.

I am wondering if the Tera Term issue is related to service pack 1 for win7. On the laptop I bought last week (HP amd quad 64bit win7) the panda behavior was completely erratic. It would work when first plugged in and then not be recognized after a reboot until I moved it to a new usb port. After I used up all the ports on the laptop I would have to reboot the laptop and start all over. After Service pack 1 installed everything worked fine but I did not retry tera term as FEZpanel is much easier.

Microsoft has chosen an odd way of dealing with service pack 1, released in February. On some machines it will appear in the automatic updates window, and in some it won’t. If it doesn’t appear you have to go to the website and follow a series of instructions to download and install it.

The desktop rig does not have service pack 1 on it but has never shown the erratic behavior that the laptop did, but tera term would not work on either. Intel quad 64 bit win7.

I still think it would be a better idea if GHI produces their own installer or recommend one of the ones already written. It is very frustrating to follow instructions and have them render your panda useless and this seems to be a recurring theme in the forum messages.

And I don’t want the people at GHI to think that I don’t appreciate the product. It is a great little rig. I am replacing thousands of dollars worth of test equipment that consumed 400 watts each with little gadgets that run unattended on 20 watts or less.

Thanks for feedback. This has been on the list for a long time but the guys here are working on more exciting things :slight_smile:

I’m up for exciting new things Gus. I look forward to have time at the end of my current production cycle to having time to see what your Cobra can do for me.

But if the first thing a new ‘FEZ" person sees is their panda falling over and curling up it’s toes and apparently expiring, they might find it Freakin’ Easy to try one of the other boards that have popped up…