Porting .NET Micro Framework to Microblaze

Hello all,
I’m trying to port the .NET Micro Frame to the Microblaze(MicroBlaze - Wikipedia) running Linux. I know that this is a big undertaking, and for that I intend to start small. I have gone through the white paper by Microsoft (http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c/b/acbd926c-25fc-4831-8f5b-436baa0eaadb/porting_the_micro_framework.pdf), but it doesn’t help much. I would also like to mention that I’m not working on Microsoft Visual Studio since the cross compiler is only present for Linux.

I’m working with the .NET Micro Framework Porting Kit v4.1.

How I see it, I think I should first try to isolate the cross-platform compatible core of the CLR from the rest of the code and try to compile if for the target platform. What do you guys think, how should I start?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Should your board be running linux? I think Micro Framework wants to run Bare Metal…

Also, you might also struggle to get support due to the cost of Microblaze EDK. :). I played with it till my eval expired a few years ago, and have not bothered to download/try another eval…

As I understand(no first hand knowledge) is that you must port the HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer) and any assembly in the rest of the code(if i recall correctly then all the ASM is combined in one or two files)

BTW, Visual Studio is used for C# app development. It isn’t used at all during the porting of Micro Framework…

I too am trying to port netmf, and struggling with what little documentation I can find. I’ve written drivers for WinCE, WinXP, Win7 and Linux in the past so I don’t believe I’m too dumb to crack a .net port. If anybody knows where the fountain of knowledge lies, please share us poor developers.

Cheers

Bruce.

This maybe a startling point GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software