PIC prog

@ Errol : is there that much difference in price between 1-sided or 2-sided PCB ?

To me, you would have more benefits with a 2-sided board than the inconvenient of price. Where do you go for your PCBs ?

Edit: @ William : LPC1343 LPCXpresso - Embedded Artists :wink:

I had a similar question. Never did a pcb before. BatchPcb is like $10 + $2.50/sq in. Do you do a cooper pour on both sides? Any use them before?

Iā€™ve used them for many boards, now. Good quality, low prices, 2 or 4 layers with unlimited vias, and so onā€¦
For small quantities, they are perfect. See the last PCB Iā€™ve ordered by them : http://www.lsp-fr.com/astro/wp/archives/144 (the bare PCB is near the middle of the page)
Dimension is 2.12" x 2.71" and unit price is $14.36. +$2 shipping.

I had a doubt for the HTSSOP48, but itā€™s perfect.

The only drawback is the delay. For me, in France, thatā€™s about 3-4 weeks between ordering and delivery. It will be less for US customers, of course.

Edit: and very often, not to say always, you get more PCBs than ordered :wink: For my last order, I ordered 3 boards and received 6 !

@ Bec a Fuel: The price about doubles for double sided. Iā€™m in South Africa and options are limited. With local companies there is a $80 order initiation fee, plus plus plus. I think the last time I got a quote it would have been around $100 for two boards. And I would be REALLY peeved if I paid that just to find an error on my board. So I prefer to make all my prototypes at home. I can, and do, make double sided, but I canā€™t do plated vias, I must solder them, thus I canā€™t place vias under chipsā€¦

I looked at batchpcb before, but I canā€™t wait 4 weeksā€¦ :). But I will probably use them for the FPGA project I want to do next.

@ William: Copper pour? I place a polygon on both sides, connected to ground(or, sometimes, one side connected to ground, the other connected to VCC). This fils all the bare board with a ground plain. I think if you do Copper Pour then it will look the same as using a GND polygon, but it wound be grounded. Might be wrong.

I use PCBCart for my pcbā€™s. Iā€™ve had dozens of designs made with thousands of boards made there. Canā€™t fault their quality or customer assistance. Quotes are quick and easy to get online.

The thread has gone over to PCB supply options, so hereā€™s my 2c worth :slight_smile:

For small quantities you could always give [url]http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order[/url] a try, they do a 2-layer board fairly often (looking like itā€™s almost weekly at the moment!) Youā€™re sharing a panel with a lot of other folk, so if youā€™re after something specific finish-wise it probably wonā€™t be suitable, but if all you want is a few copies of a sample board for home use, why not?!

@ brett. Dorkbot looks cool. Made in USA and purple (my fav). Submitted order. Thanks.