Oh what a beautiful sound

Oh how beautiful it is to hear the USB device detection sound as Windows recognizes a brand new board design. :dance: :dance:

I just got my G120 based prototype board up and running! (Had to share with someone who would appreciate it. The wife doesn’t quite understand. :wink: )

I/O options to the terminals are set using solder jumpers on the back of the board.
4 - 24Vdc, 100mA sinking outputs
4 - 24Vdc Inputs
2 - 12bit Analog Input, 0-10Vdc (I2C ADC)
2 - 12bit Analog Output, 0-5Vdc (I2C DAC)
1 - RS485
1 - RS232
1 - CAN

3 - Gadgeteer Sockets (AIKUX, AITX, PSUY)
microSD
7-36Vdc Input
Passive PoE.
256 byte EEPROM with preprogrammed MAC address.

Solder pads are available for a 2nd RS232 and USB Host.

2mm dual row header has Vin, +5, +3.3, CAN2, SPI3, I2C, COM2(RX,TX,RTS,CTS), RTC Battery, 12Bit Analog Input.

Once this board is proven I have plans to add some matching boards.
-120Vac Power Supply
-Cellular modem
-Battery controller/charger
-Additional I/O

Next step, check out Turnkey Assembly . . . .

16 Likes

Looks great, Congrats!

With very few exceptions, we are all in that boat. Anyway, we love to see naked boards around here. :slight_smile:

Nice work. Looks like a 4 layer board too judging from all the via’s on the top connected to nothing :slight_smile:

Purrrrrrty! I use the same DC-DC converter ;D

Congrats! What is it for?

@ ianlee74 - it’s a vital component in a turbo-encabulator.

4 Likes

What DC-DC converter is it, exactly?

@ Dave McLaughlin - I will try to add to the collection of naked boards on the site. I have 2 more .netmf boards in the wings.

This board is actually 6 layers. The fan out off the G120 with the parts being directly above it made it tricky. It probably could have been done with 4 if I didn’t use the middle 2 layers as only power and ground. 6 made it much easier. (The vias are exposed because I must have given the wrong layers for the solder mask. The upshot is for prototyping I can easily find pretty much every signal for testing.)

@ Iggmoe and @ godefroi - This is my first design using the little guy. Its hard to beat 6-36Vdc input and 5Vdc@ 1.5A output at that size for only $4.30. If anyone else is interested its a OKI-78SR-5 from muRata: http://power.murata.com/data/power/oki-78sr.pdf

@ ianlee - Its intended for multiple industrial control and monitoring projects. I needed something small with 24Vdc I/O and the ability to interface to standard industrial sensors.

I opted for the G120 over the STM32 for a couple of reasons. Primarily the availability of the Premium GHI libraries. Even though they have combined everything into 1 package there are still certain features not available on the STM32 due to memory. (The recent forum discussion about USB Host vs RLP is a great example.

1 Like

@ hagster - Love the video! ;D

I sometimes do some stage acting in a local theater company. I think I will use it as my next monologue for an addition.

They alway accuse me of talking to techy and over their head anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

They will accuse you of being techy if you start doing sums in the middle of an audition.
:slight_smile:

I use them myself. For small design runs they are cheaper than separate parts as often you have to purchase the inductors in quantities of 5 or 10 and that makes 1 or 2 off expensive. They are also idea for powering designs in protoboard too. As easy as using a 7805 but without the heating :slight_smile:

Recom and Traco also do them but they cost considerable more for the same thing. I’ve found the Murata ones to be very reliable. I keep a handy stock of 3.3V and 5.0V 1A devices…

Oh, sure enough, I didn’t recognize it laying on its side. I’ve used one myself, for an automatic sprinkler system. Being able to use the same 24v transformer is very nice.

Good. It will surely replace the Recom R78B5.0-1 on all our next devices.

Note to self:
Don’t touch the OKI-78SR-5 on the top during operation. It will cause a voltage spike on the output. I am running with 24Vdc in and I got a spike up to 22Vdc. Needless to say 10Vdc tantalum capacitors don’t like 22Vdc very well. They fail so spectacularly!

2 Likes