ODBII Module Question

Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm that the ODBII monitor is just the existing standard RS232 Module with a third party ODBII device and some lovely drivers :).

Regards

John

I don’t know but that would be my guess too.

Yes

This is very interesting module. Would be nice see some tutorials/videos on how to use it

I have tested a OBDII adapter like this one some time ago. Mine was very simple to use. You just plug it in and read whatever you need using plain AT commands (e.g. speed, rpm, alerts, oil temp etc.). You can also reset alarms (something that car workshops charge you for).

They are very cool, ghi should also consider pairing the Bluetooth adapter with one of the Bluetooth obdII.

Hi, I have an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD II plug, and can use this with an app on my Android phone. It looks just like the ELM327 device for Gadgeteer except with no cable coming out of it. Presumably, under the hood this is using Bluetooth’s serial port profile (SPP). Since I guess that’s “sort-of” just doing a serial port connection over Bluetooth instead of over RS232, would there be any way to use the OBD II .NET module’s classes which understand the OBD II protocols, with the Bluetooth module connected to my ELM327 over Bluetooth serial?

My OBD connector is located near peddals so it’s dangerous to use a wire to connect to a device (unless it’s a very short wire :wink: ) as bluetooth is a better choice. This is a good point, the driver for this module should be written in a way it can be reused with bluetooth module and established connection to the bluetooth OBD device.

Yeah, for bluetooth OBDII you probably will not be able to use Gadgeteer module driver as is, but it should not be hard to extract the protocol handling code.

@ RorschachUK

is this the one you have?

Here is a good starting point working with ODB-II within .NET

http://obd.codeplex.com/

Actually it all started here GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software

@ Architect - yep, looks like, though without the inexplicably bundled card reader. The app I use it with on Android is called Torque. I guess if it’s all working using AT commands, should be reasonably straightforward to hack the good parts out of the code for the GHI module and reuse. Hmm, now I’m wondering if I really want to be experimenting with this sat in my car with a laptop on my knee and a string of FEZ Spider modules dangling around! Oh - and on that subject, can a Mini-USB phone charger car adapter power the Spider?

Yes I’ve used many different phone chargers lying around to power my hydra both 240v socket and 12v.

I suppose always read the specs to be sure