Nordic nRF51 BLE connects to WIFI via IPV6

I know this is off topic and not netmf friendly, but I am pretty excited about Nordic’s last Thursday announcement of what seems to be their implementation of Bluetooth Smart 4.1 which allows a Bluetooth device to connect to a Wi-Fi router, thus eliminating the need for a network of ble devices to require a gateway device.

So the nRF51822 devices < $10 will be able to send data to the cloud on their own via ipv6.
32-bit ARM® Cortex™ M0 CPU with 256kB/128kB flash + 32kB/16kB RAM

Here is a link to the press conference. Skip forward to watch the engineer (2nd presenter) discuss the technology.

I don’t guess there is any hope of getting netmf on this chip because it would wipe out their ipv6 ip stack, but I have no idea, being new to this arena.

The health care project I am working on at night consists of a bunch of motion detector modules sending bits to a gateway module and then off to Azure. This new development would eliminate the need for that costly gateway.

Terrence

@ andre.m -

After watching the video, it appears that you do not need a gateway other than your router. They have an IP stack built into the chip and it sends data via IP.

@ andre.m -

Got it, after re-listening to part of the broadcast, they did mention that little fact of connecting to ‘Bluetooth smart’ enabled routers.