Noob needs help figuring out components required

Hi all,

I want to build a system to read the caller ID data from a phone line, I understand that a lot of modems handle this and it can also be done using a serial port. I like the look of the top of the range FEZ Cobra but will I need a shield for a modem and can anyone help me choose a suitable one?

I also need IP access so ethernet is a must, but that is built in so should not be a problem.

An optional extra would be a colour touchscreen, can anyone recommend a particular model?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Any serial modem will output the caller ID serially when someone calls. Any fez can read that easily

Thanks, that helps. I can’t find a plain old fashioned serial modem that can be integrated with FEZ, is this because there isn’t one (it’s old tech)?

I didn’t want to go the route of an externally powered modem, but I might have to if there is nothing available.

I guess thats your only option…There are no modem shields.

Eric

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-SupraExpress-56e-PRO-V92-56k-Serial-Modem-MINT-/140462572513?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item20b438c3e1#ht_782wt_1139[/url]

Thanks chaps, I’ll go for that approach then. When I get experienced I can always add a caller ID chip on it’s own.