New FEZ Spider firmware updated to 4.2 but now device not recognized by computer

First off Hardware is new to me. Many years with VS and .net however. Com ports etc means nothing to me. My FEZ Spider just arrived in the mail. I followed some of the insturctions in the support section and was able to get some 4.1 communication going on with the device, but several errors. I realised I needed to update the firmware to allow the 4.2 projects to be deployed. I also uninstalled some old netduino stuff. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled things many times. About 8 hours of messing around , I am now stuck and a little demoralised. I was able to get the LCD display working and the device says it is runnning 4.2 now. However when I plug it into my laptop it is no longer recognized. In my device manager (Windows 7, 64 bit). I have installed the 64 bit drivers, but to no avail. The driver seemed to work when the device was on 4.1 as I was able to deploy a hello world app in 4.1.
What am I missing here? Also I have added external power as I was using laptop power only originally.

Please see bold note here http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=9388

Welcome to the community.

Thanks Gus. That worked. I updated the EMX driver to the one you suggested in the link above. The EMX is now recognized and I can ping the device with MFDeploy (See attached)
The display says “Tinybooter v4.2.0.0 EMX Build Date: Oct 24 2012 13:43:11 Waiting”

However when I connect the FEZ Spider, the USB Client DP and optionally the TE35 display, I get the message below when deploying the default code, which should perform a debug.writeline
I have tried with and without a 6V power source also which is sufficient to power the display.

------ Build started: Project: GadgeteerApp17, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
GadgeteerApp17 -> C:\projects\Gadgeteer\Hello\GadgeteerApp17\GadgeteerApp17\bin\Debug\GadgeteerApp17.exe
------ Deploy started: Project: GadgeteerApp17, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Gadgeteer========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Any ideas?

That is in TinyBooter mode, you need to load firmware on it.
Use MFdeploy and point to C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\EMX\Firmware, select all of them then click on the Deploy button.
After that, when you click on the Ping button, it will show Ping… TinyCLR, then you can deploy your C# app.

Ah yes, I just realised that I still need to run the Firmware Updater. to get it to show 4.2…5.0. Which I did successfully, although the GHI Firmware updater crashed the first time but succeeded the second time. So now the display says "EMX Version 4.2.5.0 Debug USB1 LCD 320*240 Waiting for Debug Commands"
However when I try to deploy, from VS2010 just a plain old 4.2 project using the designer (3 components, USB, Display and Spider) the code should produce in my output window " Debug.Print(“Program Started”);

but still getting the message Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Gadgeteer==========

MF Deploy shows Pinging… TinyCLR as you described.

Actually, I rebooted computer and tried with just empty project and I got my “Program Started” debug line as expected.
So very happy. Everything working as expected. Thanks for your responsive help.