New FEZ Panda Base board and tinkerer kit

Sorry, my question is not clear, because I seldom do the soldering by myself.
So I want to know If I want to buy this kit or just buy a domino or Rhino.

And you haven’t made it easier to understand the reason behind the question with that response :wink:

Anyway, personally I look at the tinkerer kit as just that - something that you can tinker with.

It does have some soldering requirements - if that’s not something you usually do then you may not want this base board. If you can solder but aren’t proficient, then I would suggest that this board WILL be a simple enough board to solder - all parts seem to be reasonably simple and wide spaced that should pose no problems. If you have a soldering iron, have used it a few times before, you should be fine :slight_smile:

If you just want access to a lot of IOs without much work then Rhino might be good - you may still need to solder headers onto the Rhino depending on how you’re going to connect things to it. If you want Ethernet then you should get this with the WIZ811 module so it’s almost “Set and forget”.

If you don’t need as many IOs then Domino is good as well. Obviously you won’t get ethernet unless you add a WIZ module or an ethernet shield.

And the last point I’d make is that the Panda does not have USB Host capability, so if you want that then the tinkerer kit isn’t the thing to choose. Make sure you check [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/compare/[/url] to make sure it fits your needs.

hope that helps

It’s a dead thread, but I over looked pre-ordering one a bit ago, so today I placed my order along with some other goodies. Can’t wait to “Tinker” with another Panda.

This would end up being 3 now, I am gonna have to come up with something big to use all of them.

Lucky I didn’t miss the special price… ;D ;D ;D

Mike in MN

did they ship today? I haven’t heard anything. I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas morning :smiley:

When I pre-ordered my Panda a got an email saying when it shipped.

No email today when I got home so I am assuming nothing shipped today.

Mike in MN

Gus/Other Primates …

Any news from manufacturing on the shipping status of the Tinkerer Kit?

We are missing one piece to complete the kit…trying to track it down and see why it is not ready yet. Stay tuned.

Well the good news is that it appears that the preorder price is still good :D. Too bad I am just about buried in Panda stuff now. In fact I have been instructed that one of the pandas has to go as soon as I get this kit. I have already found a good home for it when this does happen.

I hope they do ship soon. I have 26 on order for the class i am planning :wink: And engineers are lining up to get started.

I guess it depends on which part(s) can’t be sourced. If it’s something like breakaway headers, I can happily forget those (or the DB9 for that matter). At a push, I can fit the card socket too. Obviously, if GHI can’t source the base board, that’s a different issue. :slight_smile:

My guess, Bob, is that you’ve got resource available that’d be able to handle that kind of deficiency too (plus things like barrel connectors etc).

So, Gus, what is missing? We’re resourceful guys. If the lead time is more than a few days on the item, and it’s something minor, we could probably do this ourselves. I certainly wouldn’t want to suggest a part shipment (that’d be idiotic for me, but for Bob’s 26 units, maybe it’d make sense), but let us know.

ALRIGHTY!

Looks like my shipment has been dispatched. Thank you, GHI!

Hope you received the good news too, Bob.

This is why I didn’t answer your question…i knew there will be no need :slight_smile:

Just in time to use the power conditioner circuit I built yesterday night.

Not quite sure what I’m actually going to build first with the Panda, but I do know I won’t be able to drive everything directly off the digital outputs.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I didn’t get one today(shipping email). Well maybe tomorrow.

Anxiously waiting.

Mike in MN

Howto: http://www.ascended.com.au/fez/tinkererkit.pdf

Looks good Mark.

Thanks for the work, it will help!

Do we have a new King?

Mike in MN

As the old tutorial for soldering the Tinkerer Kit is no longer available (see Panda Hardware page) the link should probably be updated with Mark’s great tutorial [url]http://www.ascended.com.au/fez/tinkererkit.pdf[/url]

Just got my Tinkerer kits today! They look awesome! Even some extra screws were included for those inevitable losses under the workbench ???

After looking over Mark’s excellent assembly guide, I’m ready to start. The only anomaly I noticed is that my v1.1 baseboard has additional solder pads labeled “X6” opposite the SD card enclosure. They match the footprint of the coax power connector, but I only see one trace coming off them. (Other connections could be on internal board layers of course.)

If X6 is indeed an optional power connector location I’ll probably put the power connector there instead of on the Panda itself. Please advise, Gus?

Looking nice mark! Although I would not solder the panda to the board. I would probably use headers so that I can get it off :-[ :stuck_out_tongue:

@ Foekie, I considered this too, but the last thing I want is any potentially flakey connections between the Panda and the baseboard.

Also, if I fry my Panda and want to replace it, I can’t do so by simply buying another “non-baseboard” Panda and sticking it on. The female shield sockets won’t contact the baseboard, so they would all need to be removed and replaced.