New FEZ Panda Base board and tinkerer kit

Any chance we can get a ENIG finish on these production boards?

maybe I’m just tired, but it looks to me like the pins on the servo connector are not standard. The picture shows: V+ Sig Gnd; most servos are Sig V+ Gnd. Am I just reading this wrong? Or just wrong in general? :slight_smile:

No, you are correct. The silkscreen reflects a nonstandard pinout. Gus?

Indeed, the correct way is sig, v+, gnd.
I hope we do not need to use extra cables…

Hmm, making them as they are could kill a lot of servos from unsuspecting customers :-[ Can you still fix it, or have you already ordered all the pcbs?

If you havent, can we please get them done in EING? :smiley:

ENIG finish will make the board more expensive. Is that justified for this board ?

Yes it could fry some servos. Well, I guess that’s why they are giving away production samples… To check things out if they are working/correct.

With design files, anyone can order the boards with any color and any option they like.

You found an error in the design :slight_smile: This is why we only have few sample, to make sure all is perfect before volume production.

EING adds 2-3 cents per board in my experience (dozens and dozens of commercial designs made with it). It doesn’t tarnish so i can still solder a prototype board from 2 years ago that is done with EING, i can’t do that with LF-HASL - the tin has tarnished so it wont take solder without additional flux being put on the pads first.

It also has a much more professional looking finish.

Glad to see prices posted. Hopefully we can preorder soon.

BTW the link on the product page (near the price) to this forum thread is currently broken.

• Mooz

(Edit- both fixed now!)

[quote]BTW the link on the product page (near the price) to this forum thread is currently
broken.[/quote]

You saw the page while we are still editing the product listing :slight_smile:

Is there a schematic for this board? The reason for asking, looking at the serial port connector trying to find the line driver.

I don’t think the serial port is connected to anything other than the header row so you can hook it up anyway you want. Remember you can’t use an RS323 line directly.

The d-sub is only connected to the header right under it. Some users may want to use it for CAN, others for RS232 or even RS485…we leave it up to you. There is plenty of room in the prototyping area to add the needed circuitry.

The other issue, is I bought a Panda and it does not have the bottom extended pins. Do you think it will be easy to unsolder and put on the header with the longer pins? Just don’t want to lift a pad…

I think it would be easier, just don’t connect the headers, but I’m worried what I will be loosing… I can still use a proto shield to get to the top headers…

This is the reason for asking for a pin out schematic

The schematic is useless. It is bunch of pin to pin header! I can help you better than seeing schematics

You do not need to connect all headers to the base board. Use the shields on top and then the rest of the pins can be connected to the base board. Or you can stick pins from the bottom of the base board right to the pads and solder it right there. Do NOT try to remove the header as you will most likely damage the board…if not damaged then it will look very ugly :slight_smile:

For those who are receiving the current version of the board (1.0), note that the servo pins are wrong. This can be easily fixed. Keep ground as is bu then cut the trace that is on the top side, which is labeled V+. This trace is not connected to anything on the board so just separate the headers from this trace and then you can wire power and signal anyway you like. Ground will still be good.

ALL PRE-ORDERS WILL SHIP WITH THE NEW BASE BOARD VERSION 1.1 WHICH HAS THIS FIXED.

How long is the “Pre-Order” price expected to be available?

Gonna place an order probably this weekend.

Mike in MN

Soon :slight_smile: I can’t say anything since GHI may decide to take it off anytime.

I guess we will see if I get to be at home for a couple hours this week to order one, at work monitoring in between running in circles…lol

Mike in MN