New FEZ Config tool to replace MFDeploy

First off… Not being critical of anything.
I am only providing information (as I see it)…

NOTE: Comments made here are based upon what I experienced using FEZ_Config_v011
on a ChipworkX development System V1.5 with a G400-D V1.2 installed.

Reset G400 on ChipworkX Developer System
Fez Config Run as Administrator
Device shows as USB G400_G400
Click Ping button returned > TinyCLR

I then:
Click Device Version button
returned > Connecting to device…G400_G400
Loader (TinyBooter) Version:
Firmware (TinyCLR) Version 4.2.0.0

I received a dialog window:
Fez Config
Can not access device. Error code:0x0001
(Fez Config thinks it is connected) See Images

If I DO NOT reset the ChipworkX Developer System
and then click the Ping Button.

I receive a dialog window:
Error
Failure - Device is not connected or is not responding.
The Debuggable .Net Micro Framework Device is shown in Device Manager
so it has not disconnected.

Fez Config Output Information shows: Ping… No response from device.
Fez Config Device USB shows: Empty - The G400_G400 has disappeared.

Advanced Button Reboot CLR
Fez Config Device USB shows: G400_G400
I receive a dialog window:
Failure - Device is not connected or is not responding.
Click OK
I then receive a dialog
Fez Config CLR has been rebooted (It has not rebooted)

Other menu choice/combinations do about the same thing unless I do a board ‘reset’ between choices.

I suppose some of it could be related to using the ChipworkX board with a G400…

By the way… It would be nice if the Fez Config main window was resizable. Things are
clipped and you need to scroll. My opinion only…

Again… No gripes… Just what I see.

@ willgeorge - the tool will not work with G400 until we release TinyBooter first. See G400 release notes please.

@ Gus -

I did read the notes. The Config tool seems to work (NO Not for firmware update etc) for some info I wanted. I guess I should have mentioned that…

Works for ping for example but not to update firmware yet. This will change in few days though to be supported.

@ Gus -

Actually I wanted some info for the ChipworkX display. I looked for the old info but the Resources link at http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/125 (Discontinued) are all
Error 404.

Any special reason we can no longer download the information?
Mostly I wanted the We’re sorry, but /downloads/ChipworkX/LQ043T1DG01.pdf could not be found.

I found it. Everything was on my old PC!

I have tried this new version. Everything works fine on my old Windows XP PC. I was able to update the firmware to 4.2.5.0.

On Windows 7 however, the Ping is OK, returning TinyCLR, Device Info also works and returns the software version but Device Version fails returning “Device access error : 0x0001”.

I will try to downgrade to 4.2.4.0.

@ ftoure, don’t downgrade your firmware - you’re always better moving forward (and keeping up to date). What are you trying to do? If this tool doesn’t work, please revert to the manual update instructions. Let us know what your problems are and we’ll try to navigate them with you.

@ Gus -

Any chance to have the tool with custom branding to integrate in our commercial products ?..Or best the c# source code or even an interop dll…,

Not current plans to make it open but everything had a price if you really want it :slight_smile: contact GHI directly please.

@ Brett - Too late. I have downgraded to the previous version which was initially working well when I was on Windows XP, but it doesn’t change anything on Windows 7. So I will come upgrade to the latest version using my old PC. If you have some command lines to do the update from Windows 7, I can also try them and let you know. SDFU Tester is still working fine.

What is really strange is that the same installation works well on my old Windows XP. I can Ping, Device Version, Update, etc without any problem.

On Windows 7, I have also tried with my Fez Panda II. The Ping and get Device Version are working well. I was also able to deploy applications from Visual C# Express to the Fez Panda II without any problem.
I only have problems with the Fez Cerbuino Bee. The Ping works and returns TinyClr, , but is really slow. The Device Version and Update fail. It’s also not possible to deploy applications from Visual C#.

It really sounds like there are some kind of communication failure with the Cerbuino Bee, but I don’t know which driver could be impacted. The GHI NETMF driver seems to work fine (at least with usb_izi connection).
Are there some logs I can set to send you some traces?

@ ftoure, lets not pollute this thread about your Cerbuino Bee issue lets keep going on the other thread…

@ Gus -

I will do that as my prototypes will turn into production (by the end of this year I hope)…

Thanks,

Hello Everyone.

I have some trouble to update EMX using the last FEZ Config tool while the alpha version was working pretty well. In fact the Fez config tool can’t connect with the emx module while the alpha version can. LMOD Select, up and down are pressed, usb is connected and device manager show GHI Boot Loader Interface on COM 48. While on alpha version connection is automatically detected to update device, this is not the case for this last version. FEZ Config pops up “There is no device connected. Please re-connect your device and click the 'Connection” button."

What’s wrong in my understanding?

If I don’t press lmod select up and down (meaning I am using com port as deploy and edbug interface), the config tool allows connecting to the device, I can ping but can’t update the firmware. it says that multiple devices are detected…

Question/Comment?

The new FEZ_Config_01 worked on my Spider.

However!

I cannot update the firmware when the Spider switches are set to boot mode.

All seems well, I have the GHI Boot Loader Interface (COM39) in my case.
Firmware Updater: Device:
Serial Port: COM39 is set.
Most of the time the Device manager tells me: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Even if the driver starts I still cannot update because it fails.

If I leave the switches in the ‘normal’ running mode and use the USB Port I can update the firmware with success.

No gripe here. I care less which port works as long as one of them does :>)

For your information only and not a complaint.

See attached images.

EDIT: I should mention running Windows 7 64 bit

Have a GREAT day!

Hello WillGeorge, you’re right, there’s nothing to do with this last version. Just pull down LMODE pin and click next…

Sometimes simple things are just too simple…

@ willgeorge -

Last version of FEZ Config tool does not update tinybooter.
To get this tool work, your device must be in TinyBooter mode or TinyCLR mode.

Normally, your device should be in TinyCLR mode and you don’t need to do anything. Just click update, I think.

From your pictures, I am seeing the driver of GHI Boot Loader is not working,
Re-install the driver first in case you want to update the TinyBooter.

@ willgeorge

I am wondering how did you make scroll bars in FEZ Config Tool? :)))

@ Dat - I did not actually check this but i have seen things like this before with my own apps on machines that use a custom dpi setting (like 120 instead of the default 96)